What's new

Can You Use Your SP3 On Your Lap?

Jhn Jeffrey

I am delighted with everything about my new SP3, but it's not strictly accurate to call it a 'laptop replacement' because I can't use it on my lap!
I can of course use it in 'portable PC' mode ie on any convenient surface - desk, table, whatever - using the excellent kickstand, with the keyboard between me and the screen; and it's fine as a tablet, with the keyboard folded back. But I am not a great fan of using the screen to type, and would love to be able to use the SP3 on my lap in the same way I use a more conventional laptop, ie with the keyboard nearest to me and the screen up at an angle. Trouble is my thighs aren't really well engineered for supporting the screen/kickstand so I need a tray or something else rigid to support it. Or some other way to keep the screen upright, one I haven't thought of.
Don't get me wrong, this isn't intended as a criticism; I love the little beast. But has anyone else been bothered by this issue, and - more to the point - found a neat solution?

abc

The solution to your problem is:

Product SKU Product Name Qty Ordered Qty Shipped Total Qty Shipped Amount
DAF-00448 Incipio Roosevelt Folio for Surface Pro 3 (Black) 1 1

RémiM

I used my SP3 on my lap at least 4h yesterday in the train. No problem at all. Enough room for the kickstand to be opened and the keyboard/cover to be used. I admit that if you have short legs, it's awkward. You have half of the keyboard over your belly.

I hate typing on the screen so much. I guess I am not used to it. There is no way I can clearly write an email, or even a short message on the forum. One of the mistake I always do is to hit the "m" instead of the space bar. It drives me nuts.

Kif

I'm ok using it on my lap as long as I don't have shorts on. Otherwise it digs into my legs.

B

B'midbar

I am delighted with everything about my new SP3, but it's not strictly accurate to call it a 'laptop replacement' because I can't use it on my lap!
I can of course use it in 'portable PC' mode ie on any convenient surface - desk, table, whatever - using the excellent kickstand, with the keyboard between me and the screen; and it's fine as a tablet, with the keyboard folded back. But I am not a great fan of using the screen to type, and would love to be able to use the SP3 on my lap in the same way I use a more conventional laptop, ie with the keyboard nearest to me and the screen up at an angle. Trouble is my thighs aren't really well engineered for supporting the screen/kickstand so I need a tray or something else rigid to support it. Or some other way to keep the screen upright, one I haven't thought of.
Don't get me wrong, this isn't intended as a criticism; I love the little beast. But has anyone else been bothered by this issue, and - more to the point - found a neat solution?

Biggest heartburn I have with "in your lap" is the trackpad is in the center of the keyboard (of course) so when you go to right-click, and you have to push down fairly hard, the gap between your legs, the keyboard goes down as you go to right click. Thus, I've gotten a cheap Belkin pad for $5.95 on Amazon and have one upstairs and down both.