What's new

cancel "win10 available for downlad" message

razzta01

Hi,
Anyone has achieved to make this message from popping up (since I won´t upgrade atm)?
Also, where does "windows update" store the almost 2Gb win10 file that is downloaded to uptade win8.1 to win10?
Rgds.

Last edited:

Grumpy2

There are two things you can do.
First: Click on the arrow in the tray on the bottom right hand side of the screen. On the screen that pops up click on customize and then look for GWX Get windows 10 and change the notification to: Hide Icon and Notifications.
Secondly you can delete kb 3035583. To do this open Windows Update and click on Installed updates in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Once that screen opens and is populated search for kb 3035583. Mine is under Microsoft Windows and was installed on 23/7/2015. When you have found it right click on it and click on uninstall. That should fix that. only problem is that Microsoft might send it down again. Has happened to me twice now so I have resorted to just hiding it.
As for your second point I do not know so I cannot help you other than to suggest you run disk cleanup and then click on clean up system files.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears to be stored in $Windows.~BT which is a hidden directory. Click the View - Hidden items box in Explorer to see it.

Grumpy2

Thanks for that info GreyFox7. The size of that folder was 5.6GB on my Win7 desktop computer and I ended up getting rid of it through Disk Cleanup.
kb 3035583 appeared again in Windows Update so I right clicked on it and then clicked on "hide". So I will just leave it there with other hidden updates which I do not want to install.