What's new

Cannot connect to WPA2 wireless router.

Steve Clark

Just updated the modem/wireless router to WPA2 and the Surface sees the network, but will not connect. It works find on the old router connected to the new modem.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try removing the previous wireless network profile. That will allow you to re-introduce this network to your Surface RT.

Windows 10 - Delete wireless network profile
  1. Click the Network icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
  2. Click Network settings.
  3. Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
  4. Under Manage known networks, click the network you want to delete.
  5. Click Forget. The wireless network profile is deleted.

OP
S

Steve Clark

Thanks, sharpuser, I tried doing that and it did not work. Is there a problem with the RT connecting to WPA2? My old router is set to WPE and the Surface connects with no problems. I have all the latest updates installed. All my other devices connects to the WPA2.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Steve Clark ,

A couple of things to try:

A) Router setting:
If your router is configured as mixed, (80211.a, 80211.b, 80211.g, 80211.n) mode, change it to dual (80211.b, 80211.g). This is a known Surface RT issue.

B) Network Adapter: Remove and allow Surface RT to re-install and re-configure
1. Start Device Manager
2. Expand Network Adapters
3. Right click on Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-N Network Controller
4. Click on Uninstall
5. Click on OK ( Do not delete the driver )
6. Close all of the windows
7. Restart your Surface.

OP
S

Steve Clark

B did not help. I logged on to the router/modem and did not see where it was set to mixed and I could change it to dual
upload_2017-1-7_5-50-29.png This is the router/modem I am trying to get the Surface to connect.
Thank you for your help.

vipergg

I have no problems connecting to a wpa2 router . I have seen with certain devices that you have to advertise the ssid until it connects the first time then you can turn the advertising off .

OP
S

Steve Clark

Sorry I have not been back sooner. The Surface sees the SSID network. I have tried to manually enter the network the encryption type and the password. I have also tried the automatic configuration WPA button on the router. The Surface sees the router and it gets information from the router but it is unable to connect to the network. Back to you first answer. I can change the mode from 802.11 b/g/n to 802.11 g/n or 802.11 n. I tried to change to 802.11 g/n and it still could not connect.
Thanks,

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Steve Clark ,

I am wondering if your router should be reset. It may be blocking the RT due to previous settings changes as you tried to get it to work.

OP
S

Steve Clark

I tried the router reset today and the Surface still will not connect. I am wondering if I should back up and restore the Surface and see if that helps.
Thanks,0507170834.jpg 0507170835.jpg

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried the router reset today and the Surface still will not connect. I am wondering if I should back up and restore the Surface and see if that helps.
Thanks,View attachment 8510 View attachment 8513
Does it work if you assigned a static IP address? Say something like:

IP:192.168.x.200
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.x.1
DNS: 192.168.x.1

"x" being the number used by your router - typically 0, 1, 2, or 3

This assumes the router uses the Class C Private Scheme...

OP
S

Steve Clark

Does it work if you assigned a static IP address? Say something like:

IP:192.168.x.200
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.x.1
DNS: 192.168.x.1

"x" being the number used by your router - typically 0, 1, 2, or 3

This assumes the router uses the Class C Private Scheme...

Are you talking about going into the Wireless N Network controller Internet Protocol Version 4 and changing the properties on the Surface?