What's new

Solved Cannot setup 4-number pin....

AP2014

Hello everyone!

After waiting for a while for the prices to drop I got myself a brand new Surface Pro 128Gb-

I have been using the Surface RT for netsurfing & such but decided to use this one for Lightroom& traveling-RAW support and sizewise the best option for me.

Anyhow-to the heart of the matter: I´d like to use the 4 number pin option (typing in the whole password is a bit frustrating to tell the truth)but it just is not possible- I get to the point where the system asks for the new 4 digit pin- After pressing confirm (or agree) it just hangs and does not do anything- Couple of times there has been a message- "Unable to comply your request at this time" (or something to that effect).
Any ideas?

Yrs,

AP

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did you add a Work Email Account? Many Exchange Active Sync Policies prevent the use of PINs on devices...

OP
A

AP2014

Thanks for the reply-- No didn´t do that-- Basically have the same email setup as in my Surface RT which works just fine with the 4 pin login system

yrs,
AP

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a SP1, SP2 or SP3? One thing you can try to do is reset the Local Security Policy assuming you've already rebooted....

Navigate to the Desktop User Control Panel and click the hyperlink Circled below:

upload_2014-10-6_9-52-54.png

OP
A

AP2014

This is SP1 and "Change my environment variables" is the last option on the left on my screen when I am at that point ( I use Win 7 Ultimate usually- So this 8.1 needs a bit practice).

Yrs,
AP

OP
A

AP2014

Well -Automatic updates are on- When I turned this thing on the first I did was to check for updates- It installed 92 of them, after that the 8.1 update was available from the store- Downloaded & installed that (3.6Gb)all of the previous took approximately 5-6 hrs... I´m pretty sure I´ve got 8.1 .
The error message it shows in yellow lettering tells something like - "unable to receive your password right now" (just a rough translation, no habla americano (finnish actually :confused:))..
Yrs,
AP

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From an elevated CMD Prompt run sfc /scannow and see if it finds any errors...

Another thought, what are you using for Anti-Virus?

OP
A

AP2014

Sorry about the delay, I had to go to work & left the Surface running that scan but Windows Resource Protection did not find anything amiss in my system.. Funny thing- First thought to me when I woke up was that maybe it was the virus protection-- (I´m running Avast!), but when I disabled it it still would not activate the PIN query...

Yrs,
AP

OP
A

AP2014

Well your advice certainly worked-- Refresh helped, when the SP1 was in Win 8 configuration I set up the PIN query and after that it has worked. Not a convenient way of doing it but worked...

Yrs,
AP