What's new

Can't get Hello working after exchange of unit

Mastiff

I had a Pro 4 i5 4 gig RAM 128 gig SSD that was slightly loose in the middle bottom of the screen, so I had it replaced yesterday. Then I restored the image backup I had taken on the old unit (identical) and fired the thing up. After the expected round of repairs and entering a new PIN code everything seems to be working, except for one thing: I can't get Hello to function. When I try to get it running it says that it can't start the IR camera. Checking in device manager it's there, and there are no yellow exclamation mark, like when stuff can't start. But checking closer I see an error from yesterday:

Device ACPI\INT347E\0 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem86.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e97d-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: ov7251
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x15
Problem Status: 0x0

But no error from just now, when I tried to configure it again. I have tried to remove it and scan for hardware changes. That adds it again, but Hello still won't work. Also a round of SFC showed that there were problems, but it couldn't repair the problems it found. So I ran this:

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
which said that there were fixable problems, and then
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

But DIMS than fails with source files not found most of the time, but once said it was fixed (even though the next run of check shows that it's not fixed. The problem seems to be in the file opencl.dll but can that be related?

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

This is getting annoying! I got it working by uninstalling the Surface Platform Installer (firmware), but now it's gone again! Nobody else has that problem?

leeshor

None of the 5 SP4s I'm responsible for have that problem. Early last week I showed one of those users haw to set it up and it worked as expected.

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Weird stuff. I have seen people complain about it on Surface Books too. So it's not an isolated incident, but I guess it's not too many cases, or the info would have been more widespread. I just hope there will be a new firmware soon that can take care of it.