Can't install Boxcryptor on Windows 8.1 Surface Pro 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by DW!, Jan 4, 2014.

1. DW!

DW! New Member

Hello,

after I downloaded Boxcryptor_v2.0.413.343_Setup.msi on my Surface Pro 2 and tried to install it I received an error message: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." Therefore I am not able to install Boxcryptor... What can I do?

Anybody who already was able to install this application succesful on the Surface Pro 2? The Boxcryptor Helpdesk seems to be very slow or still on holiday... Anyhow I would like to start storing my data on SkyDrive but I also would like to encrypt the more sensitive folders - and BoxCryptor looked promising...

Regards,
    DW!

2. reach

reach Member

sorry, never heard about boxcryptor, but have you ever tried truecrypt? Its open source, free and AFAIK 100% safe (as safe as things can be these days...) We use it in the company and I use it private every day.

3. DW!

DW! New Member

AFAIK... Truecrypt creates volumes which needs to be defined upfront with a certain size and if I only modify a small file everything needs to be replaced in the cloud... yes I want to encrypt my files on SkyDrive... and BoxCryptop (see https://www.boxcryptor.com/) encrypts file-based... much more efficient for cloud-based usage. But as nobody seems to be ablt to help me I now contacted their supprt (sending them a log file) - let's see what they will reply...

4. habitats

habitats New Member

I'm successfully using BoxCryptor Classic (1.6) with my Surface Pro 2.

5. DW!

DW! New Member

@habitats: did you download the desktop classic 1.x version directly from the boxcryptor homepage or did you use the MS Store to download the Metro App - and if so, was it this one: BoxCryptor - as there is no version indication?

6. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I haven't felt any need to encrypt any of my data, but if I did, I think I would use bit locker, which Microsoft includes with Windows 8.

7. smar

smar Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    You may need to run the installer with admin rights. Right click on the msi package, and choose "Run as Administrator".

8. DW!

DW! New Member

@bluegrass: AFAIK is bitlocker for local drives (but I let correct me) - trucrypt can be used either locally or on networks / in the cloud - as well as boxcryptor... and due to the encrypt-files-an-not-volumes-functionality I would like to use boxcryptor...

@smar: thanks for the tip... indeed I have thought of that as well but apparently installing as admin is only possible with exe-files and not with msi-files... don't know why...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  9. smar

smar Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    You can get around that by opening a command shell as administrator, and then running the installable msi from the command line.

10. DW!

DW! New Member

@smar: great that was it - thank you very much... now I was able to install boxcryptor 2.0!

Btw. I wrote to the boxcryptor helpdesk in parallal and received a very disappointing because not working "solution": "Can you install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4, I assume that should fix the installer problem. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679." That did't help at all. But running cmd as admin and then installing the msi-file worked! Case closed.

Now I need to make myself familiar with the settings etc., test boxcryptor until I am satiesfied and then buy the version where I also can encrypt the filenames...

Regards,
    DW!

11. smar

smar Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Glad to hear that you've got it sorted!