What's new

Can't install new software- says installer already running

rachbanfield

Hi there
I've tried to install software to run google hang outs and install updates to my virus protection- however I get an error message. The message says that installer is already working. I have closed down all the apps and I have nothing running so I have no idea what it thinks is being installed....
Curiously however - it will let me install windows updates?
I've tried to upload a couple of pictures of the error messages.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Any ideas how to fix it?
thanks in anticipation

Attachments

• Screenshot (754).png
    Screenshot (754).png
    186.7 KB · Views: 577
  • Screenshot (717).png
    Screenshot (717).png
    581.2 KB · Views: 551

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forum!

Start Task Manager (or Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and look for Background Processes. You will probably find something there that is hanging on, or has "terminated and staying resident". Stop that process.

leeshor

You may need to simply restart. I ran into this same issue this week and a restart corrected it. YMMV.

OP
R

rachbanfield

Welcome to our forum!

Start Task Manager (or Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and look for Background Processes. You will probably find something there that is hanging on, or has "terminated and staying resident". Stop that process.
Thanks - I'll try that - there seems to be a lot of things running in the background- so I'll try closing some of them
thanks for your help

OP
R

rachbanfield

You may need to simply restart. I ran into this same issue this week and a restart corrected it. YMMV.
When you say - restart - do you mean turn it off and then on again?
If so...I've tried that...
I also tried closing down background processes but still no joy...I have no idea why it won't install anything...grrrr
thanks for your help
x

OP
R

rachbanfield

Welcome to our forum!

Hi there
I have tried stopping background processes but with no joy. It still won't let me install updates....
I'm at a total loss!
thanks for your help
x

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Check your list of installed programs (Search, Control Panel, Programs - Uninstall a Program).
Sort by date. You may find a program there that you installed right before the problem arose. If so, uninstall it.

OP
R

rachbanfield

I've still not managed to solve it!
Would you mind telling me how to carry out a refresh please- does this mean basically setting up the surface from scratch again?
thanks for your help

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A "Refresh" re-installs the operating system automatically.
Your tiles and apps will be in place.
Any desktop programs, though, will have to be re-installed.
Your folders (files) will be intact.

Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset this PC, Get Started

snip_20160120055902.png

Last edited:

ramiss

Wow, a Refresh (forcing to reinstall all software) seems excessive for a background service that wouldn't shut down. Just Restart the machine. Dont turn it off and on, go to Power -> Restart.