What's new

Can't rotate the screen

nalbagli

Since I updated my SP3 last night I have not been able to rotate my screen to vertical position. The option is now gone in the side bar. I have already tried disconnecting the Type Cover and reseting the device. Any ideas?

TunaSurface

I mean I really don't want to bother commenting the basic stuff like, try googling or reboot the device, but some people still refuse to try the basic steps first. Other than that, I'm no use here.

agt499

Since I updated my SP3 last night I have not been able to rotate my screen to vertical position. The option is now gone in the side bar. I have already tried disconnecting the Type Cover and reseting the device. Any ideas?
A question - When you physically rotate the surface, does it still do the little 'shrink down' dance as if it was rotating, then go back to where it was?
Mine did this last week, but would randomly get stuck in either portrait or landscape from the login screen - see my thread here.
Unfortunately the only remedy turned out to be a refresh!
Would be good if you can confirm your outcome, as it's a pretty dire bug!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 Build 10061 does indeed do a very quick shrink-down, then immediately displays the rotated screen. I don't mind that. Much improved.

The shrink-down is sort of the feedback signal that rotation is sensed. I'm okay with that. I just now rotated my iPhone to and fro, and the timing is about the same. The iPhone gives me no feedback, but instead just a static delay before rotating. I prefer the shrink-down.

agt499

My Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 Build 10061 does indeed do a very quick shrink-down, then immediately displays the rotated screen. I don't mind that. Much improved.

The shrink-down is sort of the feedback signal that rotation is sensed. I'm okay with that. I just now rotated my iPhone to and fro, and the timing is about the same. The iPhone gives me no feedback, but instead just a static delay before rotating. I prefer the shrink-down.
Yep, the shrink-down is good for that purpose : the reason for my query is that when I had the issue last week, I would get the shrink-down (indicating that device rotation was sensed), but the display would not rotate. As you pointed out in my thread, that pointed to the sensor hardware being OK.
I am curious if nalbagli has the same symptoms, and if so might end up at a better resolution than the reload that I ended up with. It seemed a very extreme and inconvenient solution, which I'd rather avoid if for any reason it recurred.

norlak

Hello, I have got the same problem and no I do not have the rotate option neither from the side bar nor from the display settings.
First I thought IT was cause from the custom synchronisation option between my Surface and my computer (onedrive options), but after I disabled it the problem is always the same.

Last edited: