What's new

Car charger

leeshor

The right inverter is a great idea as you can run nearly anything from one off your cigarette lighter socket. I have one in every vehicle.

malberttoo

Completely agree with the inverter idea. The inverter gives you a regular power outlet, I have one mounted in my truck and it gets used all the time.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Inverter can be found for far cheaper than that utter ripoff stuff found on mikegyver.

And as said, you could then use it for many purposes be it a surface, digital camera, phone, rc copter batteries, you name it

Josh359

Does anyone know what power the SP3 would need to charge and hopefully, be used at the same time?

Short answer: 31 W

Longer answer: The SP3 power adapter provides an output of 12V and 2.58A DC. That is the max power output from the power adapter to the SP3. Power is calculated by 12 V x 2.58 A = 30.96 W. I would round up to 31W.

In comparison, the current iPad is 12 W, and the current iPhone is 5 W. If you want to be able to power devices simultaneously, then you'll want to find out how much power other devices you would like to plug in would take. You might also want to add a safety factor ;-) For an SP3 and two phones, 50 W should be sufficient.

For myself, I would probably check how much power our laptop takes, and I probably would end up getting a 100W or 150W power inverter with multiple outlets. However, if I was getting one just for my SP3 with one outlet, I would probably go with 36+ W and compare prices. Actually, I would probably try the one I included the link to since I could plug my phone into it by USB, doesn't cost a lot, and has good reviews.

Last edited:

malberttoo

It is odd... my buddy who is a SP3 i7 owner just said the same thing to me this morning... "when is MS going to offer the car charger??"

I told him the same thing, get an inverter. But he said no way, that MS makes one for the SP2, which he had, and loved it because it was small and portable and knew he could throw it in his bag and top off between meetings or whatever. No way he could do that with an inverter, driving different company cars etc.

I did not know that MS even made one in the past.

So now I have different insight into the car charger issue. :rolleyes: