Car charger?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by volumnus, Apr 15, 2014.

1. volumnus

volumnus New Member

I have a robust car charger capable of charging two tablets simultaneously. I also have a 15000 mah power brick. Is there any way to get these to charge my new Surface Pro 2? I could buy a specially designed car charger from Microsoft for $50 or get one off ebay for around $10, but, if possible, I'd like to utilize the stuff I already have. I'd need a cable with a usb port on one end and the surface pro 2 magnetic power connector on the other. That may not even be possible, just checking.

2. the_new_normal

the_new_normal Member

3. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    It is fortunate that the Surface power supply uses 12v, so a brick transformer is not needed.
    You can cut and splice a USB cord to a Surface power cord yourself, but you are destroying two good cords, and a splice of two different cords rarely looks good or is reliable enough. Plus, you really should fuse the supply for safety and protection of your electronics. I would just spend the money.

So instead, I use a lightweight car charger combination which works for home or vehicle: Check out http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...ories/8463-generic-surface-wall-chargers.html .

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. Dim-Ize

Dim-Ize Active Member

I use something like this: BESTEK Dual 110V AC

I just leave it in my truck. It is great for charging Surface, my kids' devices (PSVita, iPads, cellphones, DVD players, etc.).

5. Nismode

Nismode New Member

The surface car charger is actually very neat, and I use that in my car now instead of the micro USB + USB port charger I've used in the past.

6. reslosp

reslosp New Member

Generic Surface wall charger look ok, but I want to find out some other options too. I think to go with BESTEK Dual usb car charger, but I'm not sure is it the right choice for me.