What's new

Change owner and password on Surface RT

NickP

I've just got a Surface Pro 2 (very happy so far) and want to pass current Surface RT to daughter. But how do I reset it for her (Name, password etc) and also stop it syncing with the new one - if I change the startup screen on the Pro, the RT changes as well. I guess I need to untangle it from my Microsoft account but don't know how. Only info I found suggested a re-set to factory settings but this seems a bit drastic.

I'm sure it's very simple but my head is starting to hurt trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nick P

oion

I've just got a Surface Pro 2 (very happy so far) and want to pass current Surface RT to daughter. But how do I reset it for her (Name, password etc) and also stop it syncing with the new one - if I change the startup screen on the Pro, the RT changes as well. I guess I need to untangle it from my Microsoft account but don't know how. Only info I found suggested a re-set to factory settings but this seems a bit drastic.

I'm sure it's very simple but my head is starting to hurt trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nick P

Sounds like you have it synced to your own MS account. Resetting is fairly simple, though if you have a ton of software installed that she'd want to use, you could disconnect your user account (to make it local), create another account for her with admin rights, and delete yours (at least I'm assuming the last bit is possible, haven't checked)... If you saved none of your personal data on the device itself (no browser passwords, etc.), that'd probably be fine. I'd personally go with a reset.

To reset the device to factory condition so she can set it up under her own account:
While on Start Screen, swipe from right and go to Settings> Change PC Settings (bottom) > Update and recovery > Recovery > "Remove everything and reinstall Windows"

If you registered your device with MS, you will need to un-register it to transfer full ownership. See link in sig.

OP
N

NickP

That's perfect. On RT it was slightly different but I have now erased myself from the machine completely.

ctitanic

Sounds like you have it synced to your own MS account. Resetting is fairly simple, though if you have a ton of software installed that she'd want to use, you could disconnect your user account (to make it local), create another account for her with admin rights, and delete yours (at least I'm assuming the last bit is possible, haven't checked)... If you saved none of your personal data on the device itself (no browser passwords, etc.), that'd probably be fine. I'd personally go with a reset.

Yes, it's possible. I recently sold my RT and that's what I did. Logged off from my account logged in as Administrator and deleted my account. When I got the new, logged back to my Live account and all my settings and programs where there. It was like a magic experience. Never before my transition from the old machine to my new one was that easy.

oion

Yes, it's possible. I recently sold my RT and that's what I did. Logged off from my account logged in as Administrator and deleted my account. When I got the new, logged back to my Live account and all my settings and programs where there. It was like a magic experience. Never before my transition from the old machine to my new one was that easy.

Great. :) Are you saying that with the default SkyDrive backup option enabled (I disabled all sync besides the last backup option), your store bought apps are also basically reinstalled for you? I wasn't clear on that one part, always assumed only general settings were saved. And I'm assuming all desktop applications on the Pro can't be backed up like this since those aren't tied to an MS account.

ctitanic

Great. :) Are you saying that with the default SkyDrive backup option enabled (I disabled all sync besides the last backup option), your store bought apps are also basically reinstalled for you? I wasn't clear on that one part, always assumed only general settings were saved. And I'm assuming all desktop applications on the Pro can't be backed up like this since those aren't tied to an MS account.

I don't have a PRO and to be honest never has followed how things are in that the device. But in Surface RT and 2, yes. If you synchronize everything the list of your installed Apps appears in your Start screen ready to be installed and even in the same position where they were in your Start screen.

oion

I don't have a PRO and to be honest never has followed how things are in that the device. But in Surface RT and 2, yes. If you synchronize everything the list of your installed Apps appears in your Start screen ready to be installed and even in the same position where they were in your Start screen.

Well, I have nothing to sync to since my desktop is Win7, but I'm thinking the backup option with SkyDrive must behave like that, given the short description. Hmm.

ctitanic

Well, I have nothing to sync to since my desktop is Win7, but I'm thinking the backup option with SkyDrive must behave like that, given the short description. Hmm.

As far as I know that's how it works. The idea is that what ever PC you are using will have all your stuff there, except libraries. All Documents saved in SkyDrive will be available everywhere and anywhere. The synchronization with SkyDrive is virtually like magic.

oion

As far as I know that's how it works. The idea is that what ever PC you are using will have all your stuff there, except libraries. All Documents saved in SkyDrive will be available everywhere and anywhere. The synchronization with SkyDrive is virtually like magic.

Yes, so that's how Panos did his little magic trick at the launch keynote; I was just unclear about the store apps, but now it makes sense. I don't necessarliy want to keep all my documents on SkyDrive, though, so I intend to make use of File History in external storage. Win8 definitely makes it easier to move between devices, but I'll always have this little niggling doubt about relying on cloud that much. :p That's off-topic now, neither here nor there.

ctitanic

Yes, so that's how Panos did his little magic trick at the launch keynote; I was just unclear about the store apps, but now it makes sense. I don't necessarliy want to keep all my documents on SkyDrive, though, so I intend to make use of File History in external storage. Win8 definitely makes it easier to move between devices, but I'll always have this little niggling doubt about relying on cloud that much. :p That's off-topic now, neither here nor there.

Well... I love the SkyDrive option "Available Offline" ;-)