What's new

Changing location of SkyDrive on Surface 2

kristalsoldier

Hi all,

I just got myself a 64GB MicroSD card. There were two main reasons why I got it - (1) to be able to change the location of the SkyDrive folder (such that I don't eat up all the space on C:\) and (2) to be able to use it to manage Outlook (if I decide to use it).

I moved the SkyDrive folder by right-clicking on the SkyDrive folder and changing its location. At first all looked good. But today, I found something that compelled me to relocate the SkyDrive folder back to its original location.

I received a mail with an attachment (a Word document). I wanted to download the attachment and save it to a folder within a folder on SkyDrive. I saved the file with no issues and the path looked something like this: D:/username/Skydrive/Main Folder/ SubFolder (or something to that effect).

Then after my meeting was over, I opened the SkyDrive app and looked for the file at the location where I thought I saved it. Strangely, it was not there. I opened Word and looked at the list of files opened and it was listed. I opened the file from there. I renamed the file and saved again to the same location. Again, I searched for it via the SkyDrive app, again, it was not there. Obviously the file was being saved somewhere. I followed the path (as mentioned above), but could not find the file there either.

So, given that I was moving into another meeting, I quickly changed the location of the SkyDrive folder. I then looked again using the SkyDrive app - and this time the file was present in the exact place where I saved it.

Can you tell me what is happening and how I may be able to avoid this situation in the future? It would really be a help to use the SD card as the location of the SkyDrive folder.

Thanks in advance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is it is taking longer to sync from the SD Card back up to the SkyDrive. It uses a version Background Transfer Service to upload the files up to the cloud.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks. Is this what you were recently referring to a few days back when you mentioned that moving the SkyDrive folder to the SD card would result in some things - related to SkyDrive - working at less than optimal speed?

Also, let's say that your conjecture is correct. What are the implications? Thus, for example, if I save a file to SkyDrive (with the folder being located on the SD card) and the device went into connected standby (because, say, I shut the cover while moving from one location to another) would the file be uploaded in the interim? And, what would happen if I moved out of any network range during that time? Would the file be uploaded as an when I got back within network range?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It would typically upload in the background but in bursts based on Connected Standby's schedule. BITS can move things one bit at a time depending on conditions. Once the file is synced only delta bits are synced (changes). BITS typically looks at the Holy Trinity to determine data transfer, CPU Load, Network throughput and Disk I/O Speed. BITS will cache until connectivity is re-established. Also remember that Connected Standby is still connected to the WiFi if it is in range.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

It would typically upload in the background but in bursts based on Connected Standby's schedule. BITS can move things one bit at a time depending on conditions. Once the file is synced only delta bits are synced (changes). BITS typically looks at the Holy Trinity to determine data transfer, CPU Load, Network throughput and Disk I/O Speed. BITS will cache until connectivity is re-established. Also remember that Connected Standby is still connected to the WiFi if it is in range.

Holy Trinity!!!! Nice!

Ok. I get it. Maybe I should persist with the change in location for a few days to see what happens since this is a reversible action. If anything untoward happens, the max is to reset the device and since all files/ folders are in SkyDrive anyways, there should not be a problem. Am I correct in this?

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Well, I had the SkyDrive folder on the SD card all day and was constantly saving and retrieving files from it. I also moved in and out of network coverage - actually and simulated. Happy to report that it works just fine! This is a relief!