What's new

Changing multiple file extensions

I wanted to change the file extensions of multiple files (10+). Instead of having to select each of them and renaming them to add a .pdf, for example, at the end, I would like to do it in one swift motion. I googled it and it seems like alot of these options are outdated (downloaded a program but it didn't work). Plus, it kind of looked a bit shady, installing other programs. I figured it would be wiser to just ask here and get the safer, more reliable option.

Does anyone know of a program that can do this on Windows 10?

jrioux

I wanted to change the file extensions of multiple files (10+). Instead of having to select each of them and renaming them to add a .pdf, for example, at the end, I would like to do it in one swift motion. I googled it and it seems like alot of these options are outdated (downloaded a program but it didn't work). Plus, it kind of looked a bit shady, installing other programs. I figured it would be wiser to just ask here and get the safer, more reliable option.

Does anyone know of a program that can do this on Windows 10?
That's a good question. I really like Flexible Renamer. I've used it in Win 7 and XP, but it doesn't have an 8 or 10 version. :(

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Modification

1) Browse to the folder containing the files with Windows File Explorer
2) File, Open Command Prompt (or Alt+F+P)
3) Type and Enter this command
Code:
rename *.* *.pdf

- - -

If you want the original files to remain along with the new files, then type and Enter this command
Code:
xcopy*.* *.pdf

Last edited:
OP
M

Modification

@Modification

1) Browse to the folder containing the files with Windows File Explorer
2) File, Open Command Prompt (or Alt+F+P)
3) Type and Enter this command
Code:
rename *.* *.pdf

- - -

If you want the original files to remain along with the new files, then type and Enter this command Type and Enter this command
Code:
xcopy*.* *.pdf

hmm I tried this and it says "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Modification,

I just tried both of these commands, and was able to rename all files in a folder to any extension, and able to copy all files to any extension. Try that again. There is a space in the command I provided after the *.*

OP
M

Modification

Am I supposed to enter the code you posted exactly? Or do I replace certain parts of it?

Now it's saying "A duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found."
And it repeated that line the same amount of times as there are files in the folder (files of which extensions I'm trying to change).

jrioux

Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) has a renaming feature. To rename files:

1. Run Total Commander and go to the directory with the files you want to rename.
2. Select or highlight the files you want to rename
3. Select the "Tools" menu and then "Multi-Rename Tool" option
4. In the "Multi-Rename Tool" window, type "PDF" under the heading "Extension"
5. Press the "Start!" button at the bottom of the page

Your files will be renamed!