What's new

Charge Indicator Light

jamesk

Is the charge indicator light supposed to turn off when fully charged? My SP2 turns off when fully charged. I also had to exchange my first SP3 and I thought I remembered the first SP3's light turning off when fully charged as well. My 2nd SP3 light never turns off.

r0b123

Nope, it doesn't turn off. You have to check the system tray for the battery charge. I do hope on the next generation of Surface chargers they incorporate what Apple does-- when charging it shows an orange light, and when fully charged it shows green. :)

malberttoo

Nope, it doesn't turn off. You have to check the system tray for the battery charge. I do hope on the next generation of Surface chargers they incorporate what Apple does-- when charging it shows an orange light, and when fully charged it shows green. :)

That's a great idea.

JimE

My just out of the box SP3 changes from a Bluish White while charging to a Pale Green when fully charged.

malberttoo

My just out of the box SP3 changes from a Bluish White while charging to a Pale Green when fully charged.

Hmm, yours is either some kind of new model, or has a bug that's a feature, because mine stays white the whole time it's plugged in.

JimE

Hmm, yours is either some kind of new model, or has a bug that's a feature, because mine stays white the whole time it's plugged in.

I suspect the former is the case. Looks like they may have changed the power supply overall design as well considering the connector on the end of the wall chord is not a correct fit for the power supply. Meaning I suspect I may have a new power supply that requires a different wall chord than before, but what I apparently got was the chord for a different or earlier version power supply. Had to create a reach around to get proper contact with the power supply pins. Calling support in the morning to get a proper wall chord.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suspect the former is the case. Looks like they may have changed the power supply overall design as well considering the connector on the end of the wall chord is not a correct fit for the power supply. Meaning I suspect I may have a new power supply that requires a different wall chord than before, but what I apparently got was the chord for a different or earlier version power supply. Had to create a reach around to get proper contact with the power supply pins. Calling support in the morning to get a proper wall chord.
These new musical power supplies using chords for connecting instead of cords... must have been a Beatles song with only one chord or it only strummed two notes in imperfect harmony. :D

malberttoo

These new musical power supplies using chords for connecting instead of cords... must have been a Beatles song with only one chord or it only strummed two notes in imperfect harmony. :D

Lol right, as a music guy it jumped out to me too, but I figured it was just something lost in translation, or something along those lines... :)