What's new

Charger for SP3, 2 of them, No good after 8 months?

SeanP

I purchased an additional charger for my SP3 shortly after I received it. One for the office, and one for the road.

I noticed yesterday that where the magnetic portion connects to the machine, there are now wires literally sticking out. This appears to be the result of the fact that when you connect it, the wire bends dramatically at the stress point.

NOT GOOD. It's happening to my spare one as well.

Considering these are $79.99, one would think that they would be made a little better? I mean, come on Microsoft. You already nail us on getting the keyboard separately, but you cannot make a better charger that will last longer and take the continued plugging and unplugging of the device?

Yeah, I'll put some black electrical tape around it but my God, give me a break. Not sure if I am the only one noticing this but can't imagine I am, given I have TWO that are doing the same thing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been rather gentle with mine as I saw similar reports with previous adapters. it appears to be just a press fit vs molded so it may pull out if it's yanked or jerked.

Heat shrink tubing would be better than tape.

OP
S

SeanP

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not hard on it at all. When I am done I just pull it from the actual magnetic part not the wire.

I do, however, wrap the cord around the brick and attach it that way, so it might be pulling on that end to much. The thing that sucks is that on 1 charger, the wires are exposed at the magnetic point...on the other they are exposed at the actual "brick" area where it's attached..two different areas, both with the same issue. Annoying and never should happen.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
One of the causes of that stress point in the wire is the plastic clip. The wire clip tends to slide all the way down to the connection with the Surface Pro 3, keeping the wire from sitting flush with its connector end.

Either remove that clip, or use tape to retain it closer to the brick. I noticed that newly-manufactured charger cords do not have a clip.

IMG_6888.JPG

IMG_6890.JPG

VickiFL

I own 2 chargers for my SP3, and both are in as new condition. I charge my SP3 the same as you do in your picture, hoping that will give it the least stress. I've had my SP3 since last fall.

New2ToMe

Well, two things, the first is in the pics above, try reversing the cable so that the lead runs up towards the top of the screen in a sweeping arc instead of a direct bend as shown in both pics.

Next, this is what I did to the connectors the first day I had them as I could see they the flaw in design. It ain't pretty , two toothpicks, a cable tie and some hot glue.

Surface Power 001.jpg

VickiFL

Well, two things, the first is in the pics above, try reversing the cable so that the lead runs up towards the top of the screen in a sweeping arc instead of a direct bend as shown in both pics.

You believe reversing the cable puts less stress on that area?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... try reversing the cable so that the lead runs up towards the top of the screen in a sweeping arc instead of a direct bend as shown in both pics ...View attachment 5948

I like your splint.

Reversing the connection makes it no better, or maybe even worse for me, since simple gravity on the cord ends up bending the cord even more... unless I also suspend the brick above the tabletop. :)

cemian

One of the causes of that stress point in the wire is the plastic clip. The wire clip tends to slide all the way down to the connection with the Surface Pro 3, keeping the wire from sitting flush with its connector end.

Either remove that clip, or use tape to retain it closer to the brick. I noticed that newly-manufactured charger cords do not have a clip.

View attachment 5945

View attachment 5946

Where did you find the type cover decals? Looks kinda nice :)

View attachment 5945

View attachment 5946
I put mine in the other way up (cable pointing upwards). That way, there is no right-angle to the charging wire.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

Next, this is what I did to the connectors the first day I had them as I could see they the flaw in design. It ain't pretty , two toothpicks, a cable tie and some hot glue.

View attachment 5948
That looks like a hot mess :) but it reminds me of the fix I did on my vacuum cleaner cord with cable ties instead of a toothpick. A couple lengths of cable tie ends on each side, taped with fiberglass reinforced packing tape and cinched with cable ties in three places. That fix has held gong on 12 years now. :)