What's new

Charger for SP3, 2 of them, No good after 8 months?

Bill_Ohio

I purchased an additional charger for my SP3 shortly after I received it. One for the office, and one for the road.

Yeah, I'll put some black electrical tape around it but my God, give me a break. Not sure if I am the only one noticing this but can't imagine I am, given I have TWO that are doing the same thing.

I had the same thing happen to mine. When I called Microsoft, they were kind enough to send me a new one, since my Surface was under warranty. Since they did not request that I return the old one, I decided to fix it.

I realized that the heat shrink tubing large enough to fit over the plastic end was not going to shrink enough to cover the wire. I wrapped electrical tape around just the wire to build up a diameter similar to the plastic. Then I slipped the shrink tubing on and heated it with a hair dryer. I did the same to my new one. I now have two power bricks for the price of one.
Surface power cord.JPG

Saul

I realized that the heat shrink tubing large enough to fit over the plastic end was not going to shrink enough to cover the wire. I wrapped electrical tape around just the wire to build up a diameter similar to the plastic. Then I slipped the shrink tubing on and heated it with a hair dryer. I did the same to my new one. I now have two power bricks for the price of one.

This is a great idea, I hadn't considered it, I'm going to do it too!
I was about to use my old mouse bungee or something like that, but this is a more elegant solution.

What's the make/model of the heatshrink tubing you refer to, where did you get it from?
Also, any particular electrical tape your recommend, where did you get it?

Thank-you!

Bill_Ohio

This is a great idea, I hadn't considered it, I'm going to do it too!
I was about to use my old mouse bungee or something like that, but this is a more elegant solution.

What's the make/model of the heatshrink tubing you refer to, where did you get it from?
Also, any particular electrical tape your recommend, where did you get it?

Thank-you!

Thanks, Saul - glad to be of help.

I went to the local Lowe's and got a small package of 3/8" heat shrink tubing (it had about 3 short lengths) and a roll of 3M electrical tape. (3/8 seems kind of big, but it shrinks to about 1/2 its size) Home Depot or Radio Shack would also probably have what you need, or a good hardware store if you have one where you live. Just be sure to use a hair dryer, not a match or lighter!
Good luck!

Saul

Thanks, Saul - glad to be of help.
I went to the local Lowe's and got a small package of 3/8" heat shrink tubing (it had about 3 short lengths) and a roll of 3M electrical tape. (3/8 seems kind of big, but it shrinks to about 1/2 its size) Home Depot or Radio Shack would also probably have what you need, or a good hardware store if you have one where you live. Just be sure to use a hair dryer, not a match or lighter!
Good luck!

None of those shops in Australia, but we have similar retail outlets, so I'll use the same basic specs you outlined to get the same stuff.

Thanks!

seyclone

I've always firmly believed in the KISS principle (Keep it simple, Stupid). I've attached a photo of my solution to the power cord problem. I also have made use of the attached power cord clip, which I have no clue of it's intended use. I don't know if it's elegant, but it will work.

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 439

Saul

What do you mean by "the attached power-cord clip"?
A clip didn't come with my power-brick & cabling, where did you get this clip from?

TY.

seyclone

What do you mean by "the attached power-cord clip"?
A clip didn't come with my power-brick & cabling, where did you get this clip from?

TY.
I bought my SP3 in mid-January. I guess MS has discontinued the clip. Anybody know when?

Saul

So there's supposed be a clip that comes with the power-brick?
Might get in touch with MS support, only had my SP3 for a short while.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So there's supposed be a clip that comes with the power-brick?
Might get in touch with MS support, only had my SP3 for a short while.
Yeah, you should ask them, if they did decide to drop that it wouldn't be news worthy. :)

seyclone

If the clip didn't come with yours, you can't add it. It's put on before the cable ends are put in place. Again, using the KISS principle, you could just use a twist tie to do the same thing.