What's new

charger fraying?

CaffeinePizza

Well I'm about to get the Surface Pro 3 in mail. I've read reports of the charger cord fraying. Has this issue been fixed by Microsoft, or do I need to "remedy" this issue myself with something like shrink-tubing? Thanks

Aegeas

Mine has behaved itself thus far, but I don't want to give the impression that they are all good to go. I've had mine since release day.

Arizona Willie

I just noticed the other day that the plug on my charger is coming apart.
The magnet doesn't seem to hold as well as it did and the whole piece comes apart if I'm not careful. It's only been in daily use for almost 2 years. I have the original Surface Pro I that I got as soon as they went on sale.

Fortunately, I bought 2 so I got the second one out and put it into service.

If it lasts 2 more years it'll be about time to format this Surface and donate it or trade it on a Surface Pro 10.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just noticed the other day that the plug on my charger is coming apart.
The magnet doesn't seem to hold as well as it did and the whole piece comes apart if I'm not careful. It's only been in daily use for almost 2 years. I have the original Surface Pro I that I got as soon as they went on sale.

Fortunately, I bought 2 so I got the second one out and put it into service.

If it lasts 2 more years it'll be about time to format this Surface and donate it or trade it on a Surface Pro 10.
Only if they skip 6,7,8,& 9. :D

Last edited:

PCAnyWhere

I travel with my SP3; but only in the last 3 weeks. I moved around with it quite a bit however and have not had an issue. I was in a Best Buy recently and saw a 'open box' for 15% off so I picked up a backup just in case; as I do with many of my laptops. Saves ones at home and another that can be beaten up a little more.

I have read in other forums that this has happened and while the cable itself doesn't appear to be very tough it remains lightweight. so almost a disposable item (albeit costly).

I did consider the dock as an alternate power source at home but I keep my SP3 as my mobile companion only for now.