What's new

charging battery

Mrzocor

anyone know why the battery doesn't charge. had mine on all night, and it never charged at all. The next time I plug it in, it charges. You never know.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's me out of ideas then :( I had an issue where something was loose inside the magnetic plug and would occasionally not charge the device (and no LED).

If the light is always on, then it sounds like it might be software related. Have you tried contacting microsoft live chat (if they offer the service in your location). They're generally pretty good at sorting things out (although if it is software related then this normally involves downloading a recovery image)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The light on the Surface 3 doesn't mean anything. Try moving the connector some and watch the battery indicator to see if the plug symbol shows up on the left end, sometimes the micro USB doesn't make good contact. also unplugging and reconnecting.

Are you using the Microsoft charger or a different one. if it's not able to supply 2.4A it's probably the charger shutting down. You might try a different charger that will supply 2.4 A, 12W to the port. If you are using another charger rated less than 12W/2.4A get a charger that is.

OP
M

Mrzocor

That's me out of ideas then :( I had an issue where something was loose inside the magnetic plug and would occasionally not charge the device (and no LED).

If the light is always on, then it sounds like it might be software related. Have you tried contacting microsoft live chat (if they offer the service in your location). They're generally pretty good at sorting things out (although if it is software related then this normally involves downloading a recovery image)
Isn't the light suppose to be on all the time. It shows that it is charging that way.

OP
M

Mrzocor

The light on the Surface 3 doesn't mean anything. Try moving the connector some and watch the battery indicator to see if the plug symbol shows up on the left end, sometimes the micro USB doesn't make good contact. also unplugging and reconnecting.

Are you using the Microsoft charger or a different one. if it's not able to supply 2.4A it's probably the charger shutting down. You might try a different charger that will supply 2.4 A, 12W to the port. If you are using another charger rated less than 12W/2.4A get a charger that is.
I am using the Microsoft charger that came with it. Are you talking about the LED light that comes on when you plug it in?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am using the Microsoft charger that came with it. Are you talking about the LED light that comes on when you plug it in?
Yep, and it never goes off, even when it isn't charging unless you unplug the charger from the wall.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't the light suppose to be on all the time. It shows that it is charging that way.

Indeed. I got this mixed up with an SP3 for some reason, but what I was getting at was that if occasionally the LED doesn't turn on due to a faulty cable, something I experienced myself intermittently.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indeed. I got this mixed up with an SP3 for some reason, but what I was getting at was that if occasionally the LED doesn't turn on due to a faulty cable, something I experienced myself intermittently.
Yeah, on an S3 if the light isn't on it may indicate a bad cable or power supply or there is a general power utility outage. In essence if the light isn't on there is no power at all. The light doesn't indicate its charging, it doesn't go off when it's done charging. I use a different cable most of the time because I found "the light" to be annoying and idiotic.