What's new

Check your Windows Store for 8.1

mitchellvii

Ok, got past the 401 error. Now I get to the Store page and click the Download Button. As far as I can tell nothing is downloading.

I'm lost. Don't I get to choose where this downloads? Isn't there some meter or indicator that it is downloading? I see nothing. Typical Microsoft.

When I click the Download button something briefly flashes on the right as typically happens when the Store is downloading something but then it instantly disappears. Is anything happening?

Screenshot (2).png

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Ok, it just prompted me that "After installing Windows 8.1 I must reinstall my apps" and asked me if I wanted to proceed. I said yes then nothing again.

Lol, could they have made this update less user friendly?

Crimson Idol 8

Ok, got past the 401 error. Now I get to the Store page and click the Download Button. As far as I can tell nothing is downloading.

I'm lost. Don't I get to choose where this downloads? Isn't there some meter or indicator that it is downloading? I see nothing. Typical Microsoft.

When I click the Download button something briefly flashes on the right as typically happens when the Store is downloading something but then it instantly disappears. Is anything happening?
Hi. I had the same issue.

I rebooted the SP and that fixed the problem. I opened the Store and it said "Installing Windows 8.1 Pro..." in the top right corner. It's downloading as I type.

So, give rebooting a shot.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Hi. I had the same issue.

I rebooted the SP and that fixed the problem. I opened the Store and it said "Installing Windows 8.1 Pro..." in the top right corner. It's downloading as I type.

So, give rebooting a shot.

Yeah mine actually did download and install without issue. It just never told me it was doing anything which was disconcerting. Seems to be working fine.

P.S., Now I just need to figure out how to dump "Windows.old" as it it sucking up 7 gigs of SSD space..."

mitchellvii

Well so far feels pretty much exactly like Preview 8.1. One odd thing is that I can no longer install programs from my 32gb Sandisk Thumb Drive which is awesome. Haven't messed with any Metro apps yet.

Was hoping they would add swiping back and forth to Desktop IE. Guess their stoner focus group felt that was unnecessary. I mean it's one of the BEST things about Metro IE, why would they want to add it to IE Desktop?

rmeigs

Just a FYI: After installing 8.1 on my Surface RT, I had a firmware update available. It wasn't there before the 8.1 upgrade because I checked to ensure everything was current.

Last edited:

Series7man

I saw that too. Not sure what the Firmware update was.......as I didn't really check, but all seems OK with my RT. Gonna play around with it tomorrow and see what's new with 8.1

mitchellvii

Alas, swiping back to the previous page in Metro IE is still a lagfest.

Ok, MS seriously, how hard is it to cache the previous page? So you want us to make sure we get the latest version of the previous page? Fine, give us an option in Settings whether we want that or just the cached page. Nevertheless, a brand new uncached page loads 10 times faster than swiping back does.

Why is this so damned hard? THIS is your finished product? Do you even focus group any of this before you push it out the door?

mitchellvii

I saw that too. Not sure what the Firmware update was.......as I didn't really check, but all seems OK with my RT. Gonna play around with it tomorrow and see what's new with 8.1

If you are running the lastest HD 4000 Graphics Control Panel that update will kill it. Have no idea what MS has against us being able to fine tune our screen colors and gamma, but there you go. Just reinstall it (assuming you have the file) after the update and it seems to stick.