What's new

Choosing a monitor

AbMarhon

Greetings,
I want a monitor to my SP3 and PlayStation
Size: 23" - 27" I prefer the largest
I am around
Samsung sa550 or Cross over or any "Korean low price high res. monitors "
Or suggest any, that would work well on my Surface and PlayStation....
Price about 300$
:)

Please just suggest do not write an essay or copy paste :p

Last edited:

ptrkhh

PlayStation: Since PS doesn't even play all games at 1080p, any monitor/TV will do as long as it has an HDMI port.

SP3: If you want to use the monitor with the SP3's screen at the same time, get a 4K monitor to minimize scaling issues. If you want to use it with the SP3's screen off, it will be just like buying another computer monitor (example: Full HD 1080p minimum). SP3 prefers DP port though, especially if you use the docking station.

tldr: Get a monitor with DP port (for SP3) and HDMI port (for PS). If youre going to use the SP3's screen and monitor at the same time, get a 4K.

OP
A

AbMarhon

PlayStation: Since PS doesn't even play all games at 1080p, any monitor/TV will do as long as it has an HDMI port.

SP3: If you want to use the monitor with the SP3's screen at the same time, get a 4K monitor to minimize scaling issues. If you want to use it with the SP3's screen off, it will be just like buying another computer monitor (example: Full HD 1080p minimum). SP3 prefers DP port though, especially if you use the docking station.

tldr: Get a monitor with DP port (for SP3) and HDMI port (for PS). If youre going to use the SP3's screen and monitor at the same time, get a 4K.

Thank u very much:
First, I'd like to thank you for your answer , I really like it ;)
Second, you didn't suggest a monitor o_O

?
-What is the port that gives higher quality (HDMI or DP)
-Please, I'm around taking a Korean monitor 4K, would you suggest any?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never understood what all of this scaling issues is. I plug in a plane jane 1080p 24" lcd and everything looks just fine. Never had to change a thing.

Biggest thing i think is the purpose of the monitor with regard to using it with the SP3. would your usage case really need or benefit form 4K?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
4k with SP3 is a bit of a stretch and you still have scaling issues but in the opposite direction due to differences between screen resolutions.

One side effect of scaling is Desktop and Start Screen icon mobility (everything shifts around). There aren't any monitors that match the SP3's 2160 x 1440 resolution so it's pretty much inevitable.

You might be able to create a custom resolution and use it with a monitor like the Dell U2515H or U2715H that has resolution of 2560 x 1440 or just leave it, as it's not that much different so the rearranging and rescaling would be minimal.

ptrkhh

Thank u very much:
First, I'd like to thank you for your answer , I really like it ;)
Second, you didn't suggest a monitor o_O

?
-What is the port that gives higher quality (HDMI or DP)
-Please, I'm around taking a Korean monitor 4K, would you suggest any?
Youre welcome :)

Technically, DP is superior in a lot of cases. However, PS only supports HDMI (correct me if im wrong), and as you can see, having an HDMI port on your monitor is always useful since HDMI is the gold standard for home entertainment devices (thanks a lot, Sony /s).
Btw, youre talking about PS3/4, right? If youre talking about PS1/2, trust me, 4:3 CRT TV is the best. Theyre ridiculously cheap now, the color reproduction is great, and PS1/2 outputs the image at 4:3, which fits CRT TVs perfectly.

Sorry I couldn't recommend a monitor for you. Samsung's new 4K monitor seems great for its price, but that's all I know.

But I could recommend one thing: don't buy generic monitor with no brand, theyre built with the cheapest material, least reliable components. They don't put the brand for a reason. Stick with at least brands that provide warranty.

I've never understood what all of this scaling issues is. I plug in a plane jane 1080p 24" lcd and everything looks just fine. Never had to change a thing.

Biggest thing i think is the purpose of the monitor with regard to using it with the SP3. would your usage case really need or benefit form 4K?
Do you use the SP3's screen and monitor simultaneously? Do you spend a lot of time on the desktop? Metro scales really well, till the point where you don't need to worry about scaling, density, or resolution.

The problem appears when you drag windows from the monitor to the SP3 or vice versa. It will either be ridiculously large on the monitor, or ridiculously small on the SP3. The workaround in 8.1 is to post-process the UI to make it bigger or smaller, however, the outcome is rather blurry. Having high resolution monitor with the same density as SP3's screen allows you set one scaling level for both monitors, making the UI looks great on both screen.

4k with SP3 is a bit of a stretch and you still have scaling issues but in the opposite direction due to differences between screen resolutions.

One side effect of scaling is Desktop and Start Screen icon mobility (everything shifts around). There aren't any monitors that match the SP3's 2160 x 1440 resolution so it's pretty much inevitable.

You might be able to create a custom resolution and use it with a monitor like the Dell U2515H or U2715H that has resolution of 2560 x 1440 or just leave it, as it's not that much different so the rearranging and rescaling would be minimal.
4K with SP3 is perfect IMO. Since theyre roughly about 200dpi, I set Windows scaling to 175 / 200% with no post-process scaling introduced in 8.1.

Yeah, the icons on the desktop sucks.... lol, I don't even remember where the icons are right now.

surfdock

AbMaron,

Any 27" 2560x1440 WQHD monitor will work well with the Surface Pro 3. Please see this essay for the rationale.

Korean off-brand monitors are great. However, getting one to work with a DisplayPort->Dual-link DVI port can be a struggle and any money you save on the monitor is typically lost by getting an expensive adapter. Best to get a DisplayPort monitor like the Asus:
http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0
or Acer:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JB6HCIC

Dan

Last edited: