What's new

Chrome and Windows 8 Mode

latest chrome update is unusable on my SP1. when I launch chrome, it looks corrupted on the screen occupying a small portion of the upper left corner of the screen. chrome used to occasionally launch corrupted like this previously, I used to have to swipe the screen to get to settings and it would restore the window to normal. the latest update no longer has a settings item in the menu when I swipe so I can't get chrome to display properly. I tried changing resolutions like thimetolive suggested but it would only work when I set the resolution very low. gonna try to uninstall / reinstall to see if it fixes anything up.

I am having the same issue right now.
I have been using Chrome in Windows 8 mode and love it.. cant stand the new IE and bing and all that stuff...
like I said was working since xmas till yesterday... now I have this same problem.. wonder if a patch came down and did this???

munakib

I am having the same issue right now.
I have been using Chrome in Windows 8 mode and love it.. cant stand the new IE and bing and all that stuff...
like I said was working since xmas till yesterday... now I have this same problem.. wonder if a patch came down and did this???

Easy solution i came across is installing the previous version of chrome that worked in MetroMode, I am not sure what google is trying to pull off here, how can they update a browser to make it function worse...

Here is the link to the old chrome which works in metro mode and scrolling works at default without using chrome themes
Download Google Chrome 31.0.1650.63 - FileHippo.com

ssummer

The only feature that Chrome has that I want right now in IE11 Metro is "Save to PDF". I know I can install a separate PDF printer driver but the offerings seem rather sketchy and resource hogs. I'm not quite sure what everyone is looking for in a Chrome Metro version that IE11 doesn't already have or do well.

macmee

I don't know how anyone can stand using Chrome for the Surface.

It's slow, laggy, poor gesture support and buggy as hell. Metro IE works fine.

and I dont know why anyone buys a car or truck other than a gmc.....

thanks im back up and running....

CrippsCorner

To clarify, you're specifically talking about the Modern UI version? On the desktop, Chrome is perfect.

Eve

I'm using Chrome Canary on my Surface, to take advantage of the pinch-to-zoom beta feature. Since I had a problem with my previous model, I had it replaced and a new unit was shipped to me today. After installing both Chrome and Canary I noticed that the two-finger scrolling on the touchpad wasn't working. The behavior was similar to the one shown in this video, except I haven't installed Visual Studio yet to check if I have the issue there too. Installing another theme fixes it, but I don't really like having one. Can someone confirm to me that the problem happens to every Surface Pro 2 user who has an up to date version of Chrome/Canary? If not, what could be causing it?

Edit: for some reason, now the two-finger scrolling works on Canary. After restarting the Surface, though, the problem started again. No clue what fixed it temporarily before.

Edit 2: okay, this is really odd. To get the scrolling to work I have to turn on the Surface, close the cover, put the Surface to sleep through the button (I disabled the automatic sleep mode upon folding the cover), then when I'd unfold the cover the Surface would be already awake (which sounds a lot like the issue I had with the defective firmware update back in December) and after I enter my PIN, voila`, scrolling works perfectly - I don't even have to restart the browser. Also, the fix works "in reverse" as well. That is, when I put the Surface to sleep and wake it up manually (or in other words, it doesn't decide to wake up by itself for no apparent reason), scrolling breaks again. What the hell?

Last edited:

hazymat

Each to their own, right? When I first installed my SP2 I downloaded Chrome straight away and set it as my default browser.

Today after getting more and more annoyed by the lack of pinch-zoom and metro mode, I switched over to IE.

I was thinking "this is great" for a good few hours.

Well, with the exception of the fact I had to actually google to work out how to change my default search provider as it wasn't obvious. And the fact I have no Ad Block in IE (how do people live without this?!) And the fact the address bar seems a bit ridiculous and the favourites implementation is a little bit cryptic in my opinion...

Then at 2pm, I wrote a huge long blog comment (you know the kind, really in-depth) and accidentally must have hit back, or forward, or hit on some stupid advert.

You guessed it - my comment disappeared, I hit the back button, and the thing was lost.

Chrome never loses text you have written into forms like that. Even if it crashes (super rare), when you re-launch it magically comes back up with text you entered in a form / comment / blog post / whatever.

So yes - poor gesture support (well, none except swipe for back and forward), but as for "slow, laggy", and "buggy as hell" - I've no idea what you are talking about!

Despite Chrome being far from marvellous on the Surface, it's still my browser of choice.

Last edited:

hazymat

By the way.

Not sure if someone else mentioned this, but you can easily get Metro mode back by changing your SP2 screen resolution. I dialled mine down to 1600x900, which IMO is still frankly ridiculously high for such a small screen, and it works.

Simply re-launch Chrome and hey presto. The menu option to "re-launch in Windows 8 mode" is back.

Edit 2: okay, this is really odd. To get the scrolling to work I have to turn on the Surface, close the cover, put the Surface to sleep through the button (I disabled the automatic sleep mode upon folding the cover), then when I'd unfold the cover the Surface would be already awake (which sounds a lot like the issue I had with the defective firmware update back in December) and after I enter my PIN, voila`, scrolling works perfectly - I don't even have to restart the browser. Also, the fix works "in reverse" as well. That is, when I put the Surface to sleep and wake it up manually (or in other words, it doesn't decide to wake up by itself for no apparent reason), scrolling breaks again. What the hell?

How did you disable the sleep mode when closing the cover?