What's new

Circular area on screen

OP
G

gtext

Had a rethink and after trying to clean the screen unsuccessfully with the microfiber cloth and glasses cleaner I'm going to return it. Pity as otherwise it's issue free but not good enough for a costly product.

Purchased from Microsoft so I'll contact them. In Australia we only get 14 days to return for a refund so by the time I receive another one there won't be much if anything of the 14 days remaining. So if I receive another 14 days I'll go with that. If that's not possible I'll get a full refund and then repurchase later.

Apart from this I've been really happy the the i7 256. Does everything without any fuss that I ask it to do. Wrapped in the pen.

Just hope the next is a issue free one.

whoosh3000

Hi gtext just wanted to confirm I also have a circular mark on my 256gb i5 that will not clean away......i bought my unit in the UK. Must be a fault in the manufacturing process and I suspect as time goes by the more reports of this issue will be reported.

cemian

I have this same imprint on my screen also ...I have the same model i7 256GB...I don't understand why it would not clean off? I tried only water and soft cloth so far with no luck...maybe will try vinegar as someone said or rubbing alcohol....I do not have the option to return this to the store as since there are no best buys where I am now...but if anyone else has any other ideas for cleaning please let us know. Thanks

OP
G

gtext

Hi gtext just wanted to confirm I also have a circular mark on my 256gb i5 that will not clean away......i bought my unit in the UK. Must be a fault in the manufacturing process and I suspect as time goes by the more reports of this issue will be reported.

Suspect this is a wider spread problem also. Mine was total invisible unless moisture was applied in any way. I did notice when cleaning that ther were blotches on other parts of the screen also. I suspect the problem was with coating on the glass and the circle was caused by something being in contact during production. Tried isopropyl alcohol but wasn't prepared to try anything else including vinegar on the chance that it would do further damage.
I chose at this stage to request a refund and wait for some of these issues to get resolved before considering purchasing again.
Other than this issue I was totally wrapped in the SP3 and it had no other problems.

I do think though that Microsoft has a winner in it's hands but at the same time is having quality assurance problems. But that will hopefully get resolved over time. I do think it was released before being ready as a lot of the problems requiring updates etc. should have resolved pre production. I think the early adaptors have been left to do the final testing.
My device was lot 1432 and here in Australia people seem to be receiving that or earlier lot numbers. So I'll wait it out until a lot of these issues and lot numbers move forward.

I'm happy but only because others are seeing this as I'll sure some on this forum thought it was my imagination and smart ass comments such as "Don't breathe on it" didn't help.

Last edited:

malberttoo

Mine was total invisible unless moisture was applied in any way.

If it's invisible... doesn't affect performance, not draining battery, or causing the machine to run warm, or interfering with WiFi, my inking is superb, touch works great... then what's the issue???? I have no idea if there's a mark on my screen, and I'm not going to find out because I don't care.

I assure you I am not trying to be unkind, but this "issue" affected the machine and its performance in no way, other than that you simply knew it was there. I just can't see someone who is "wrapped up" in their SP3 returning it for this reason. It is simply a non-issue....

OP
G

gtext

If it's invisible... doesn't affect performance, not draining battery, or causing the machine to run warm, or interfering with WiFi, my inking is superb, touch works great... then what's the issue???? I have no idea if there's a mark on my screen, and I'm not going to find out because I don't care.

I assure you I am not trying to be unkind, but this "issue" affected the machine and its performance in no way, other than that you simply knew it was there. I just can't see someone who is "wrapped up" in their SP3 returning it for this reason. It is simply a non-issue....

It's an issue for some and not others. Each to their own opinion.

I'm making the judgement on whether what I'm purchasing meets my standard. I'm not imposing that view on others or stating what standard others should have.

The devices I purchase have to meet my standards, performance, cosmetic or others. Not other peoples standards.

ScottyS

Looks like a suction cup mark that could have been made during fabrication. It could be a defect in just the oleophobic coating which is why you don't see it unless the glass is steamy and why it wont "clean off".
I'd be afraid to use cleaners with alcohol or vinegar for fear they would alter or remove this coating. Read a post somewhere that you can apply Rain-X (a hydrophobic coating for car windshields) but I'd be afraid to use that too.

As a matter of fact it was mitchellvii who recommended Rain-X, perhaps he can tell us more about his experience with it (I got several bottles of it in my garage. It works great for rain).

See this thread Something's on my screen and it won't come off.

Last edited:

cemian

Yes this mark seems to have happened during manufacturing with the coating they put on these screens. You can actually see it and feel it with your finger. The unprotected circular part of the screen is more prone to smudging making the circle effect more visible. Still waiting for contact from support to see what I can do about. With such an expensive device why would you want one less than perfect when buying it brand new from the store?

albino95

I have this too! I thought it was something I must have done to it but the first photo in this forum is identical to what I have. I was really surprised to see it because I was trying my absolute hardest to keep it in perfect condition. Has anyone had any luck returning theirs because of this? Is it worth the effort because besides this the Surface pro 3 i3 has been awesome.

OP
G

gtext

I have this too! I thought it was something I must have done to it but the first photo in this forum is identical to what I have. I was really surprised to see it because I was trying my absolute hardest to keep it in perfect condition. Has anyone had any luck returning theirs because of this? Is it worth the effort because besides this the Surface pro 3 i3 has been awesome.
Can't beleave this problem is still showing up. Lift your game Microsoft!

Yes absolutely send it back. Sent mine back to Microsoft for a refund. Just received the refund a couple of days ago. Undecided whether to purchase another straight away.
Really have to wonder if MS actually look at why their getting returns and look at correcting those issues.

albino95

Thanks for the reply. I definitely would want to get another one but I am not stoked on the idea of having to set up a whole new surface, moving all my files ect. Is there an easy way to get my exact set up on a new one or should I just suck it up with this faulty screen and save myself the hours?