What's new

Solved Clean Surface Pro hd of personal info

roving

Am returning Surface Pro in exchange for a new one. I want to remove all of my info from first one. What is best method to do so?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reset: Swipe from right, Settings, Change PC Settings, Update and Recovery, Recovery, Remove everything and Reinstall Windows. There's an option to do a secure erase during this process if you want. It takes a while, plug it in, plug it in. :)

OP
R

roving

Reset: Swipe from right, Settings, Change PC Settings, Update and Recovery, Recovery, Remove everything and Reinstall Windows. There's an option to do a secure erase during this process if you want. It takes a while, plug it in, plug it in. :)

That is what I thought, but wanted to be certain. Thanks!!

CrippsCorner

Thing which concerned me when I did this was that my wallpaper still showed after the format! Made me feel it wasn't completely fresh... but nothing else was there. Weird.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thing which concerned me when I did this was that my wallpaper still showed after the format! Made me feel it wasn't completely fresh... but nothing else was there. Weird.
So you set it up after the Reset??? And used the same account??? It would have done a sync of settings from OneDrive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Important concept:
If your returning it don't set it up after the Reset is finished just power off and its ready to return, then it would be like it came from the factory with nothing on it.

If you need to reassure yourself (not recommended) that there's nothing on it after a fresh install of Windows DO NOT set it up using the same account or any Microsoft Account as SETTINGS & DATA from the Account on OneDrive will sync back to the device; instead use a Local Account. The account should be generic like Test or User not your name and include NO personal information.

Then to have it really be like *Factory* you would need to Reset it again and not go through the setup afterwards.

CrippsCorner

So you set it up after the Reset??? And used the same account??? It would have done a sync of settings from OneDrive.

No I did not set it up, not at that point. My wallpaper appeared before any information was inputted, I found it rather startling! Is this not the norm, then?

Also, just out of interest... what would OneDrive have to do with it when my wallpapers are only stored locally? Or does it automatically send information there without me knowing or something.