What's new

Clorox / Lysol wipes bad for your screens?

OP
bulls96

bulls96

Microsoft is touting the device for use by doctors in hospitals so they must be some recommendation for cleaning. Have tried asking MS Support? I would definitely street clear of chlorine based cleaners!!! Alcohol may be OK if designed for the purpose...but check first.

Tweeted the Surface twitter account and they said clean it with whatever I want.

Probably not the best place to ask.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, sounds a bit dodgy. At the launch of teh SP3 there was video of docs using tSP2, I would imagine there must be some guidance somewhere for infection control purposes if they walk around wards with them. (I'm a scientist working in a microbiology reference facility so I do know one or two things about this... but not what would actually harm the screen!!)

Perhaps a lens cleaning fluid designed for coated lenses (usually contains isopropanol) might be OK - Nikon make good lens cleaning fluid - but I'm not sure on their anti-infection properties!

scottysize

I understand your dilemma, but no, you cannot use anything like that on it. If you do, plan on throwing it away after a few weeks as the screen and camera lenses will be trashed. You can use the wipes on the case without causing too much harm, but the screen and camera lenses, no way. For those, try a product called Whoosh. You can find it on Amazon. They claim to remove the toxins from the display as well. No idea if it does, but i know it works great on screens. I've been using it since it launched last year.

Good Luck!

Wayne Orwig

I understand your dilemma, but no, you cannot use anything like that on it. If you do, plan on throwing it away after a few weeks as the screen and camera lenses will be trashed. You can use the wipes on the case without causing too much harm, but the screen and camera lenses, no way.

Why would the GLASS touch screen and GLASS camera lense be harmed.
I agree that plastic might be harmed, but not GLASS with a hard coating.

leeshor

The key to your statement is "coating". Most good camera lenses have a special coating that can be damaged, and touch screen coatings are even more sensitive. On another forum one of the members found out the hard way when his "coating" began peeling off his tablet.

scottysize

I have seen this happen to several devices over the years here at work. We have all kinds of devices that are shared with entire crews and someone always wants to disinfect it. Most of the screens get trashed after a few weeks, and yes, even glass ones. They become cloudy, get scratched, or if they are layered, start peeling. This isn't something I think, it's something I've seen first hand.

wanted to chime in here to those who put alcohol on their list of things that shouldn't be put onto a phone. Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) and even ethanol are perfectly fine and do not affect the coating when mixed 1/1 with water. Any of the "special" sprays you buy that claim to be screen cleaners are just that.

I've been using this on my devices for years with no negative effects.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes isopropanol is a very strong solvent, so neat it would be likely to damage but used dilute it should be OK.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm hospital... seems a market segment that needs special attention for reasons the OP stated. Perhaps ask the Hospital help staff as this may have been specifically addressed with them or it should have been.

The standard recommendations are to use microfiber wipes either dry or dampened with water, no harsh chemicals.

how about a UV lamp? or laying it in the sun for a few minutes per side. over time plastics would likely fade but so will cleaning it with chemicals.

Did you buy the extended care damage replacement package? :)

OP
bulls96

bulls96

Hmm hospital... seems a market segment that needs special attention for reasons the OP stated. Perhaps ask the Hospital help staff as this may have been specifically addressed with them or it should have been.

The standard recommendations are to use microfiber wipes either dry or dampened with water, no harsh chemicals.

how about a UV lamp? or laying it in the sun for a few minutes per side. over time plastics would likely fade but so will cleaning it with chemicals.

Did you buy the extended care damage replacement package? :)

Yes I did! $150 worth it for this $1000 piece of tech.

My initial solution now is use a screen protector (Illumishield highly recommended) and the ILUV cleaner (has an ammonic smell to it w antibacterial properties.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK fair enough, but would you recommend it for cleaning a screen used neat? It seems that it needs some water added to help kill the bacteria anyway.