What's new

CMOS battery problem?

JimB

Anyone have any issues with their SP3 not holding the time/date? Happening to me randomly. This morning after hibernate the clock still had last nights day and time. I've had to create a task scheduler item for time resynchronization each time after hibernate to deal with this.

r0b123

No issues found with the CMOS battery regarding date/time. Daylight savings time ended and found the time changed appropriately.

Is your SP3 charged? Might leave it plugged in for a few hours and check if the date/time syncs. Maybe the regular battery could affect the CMOS battery, but unlikely and still keep your system charged to find out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything could fail, but if the RTC/battery (if there is one) failed your date would likely be way off not the last time before shutdown/hibernation/standby. There's probably just a delay in updating the system clock.

leeshor

The likelihood of the battery going bad is slim to none. As GreyFox7 mentioned, it may be something that is delaying the clock update. With a failed battery you wold be seeing more than just a wrong time.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might try changing the time sync from Windows time to NIST. last I checked one of the NIST sites was FUBAR so if one doesn't work move on to the next one. seems like some ISPs are getting persnickety about NTP traffic.