What's new

Cold Tur-Key Approach

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I had a busy day at the office, and also had other tasks to accomplish, such as reconfiguration of my home network (after a move and change of service provider), and helping a friend with some Keynote advice.

I decided to do it all without a keyboard, and only use the Surface as a Tablet. I had my Surface Pro Type Cover along folded in back, in the event I just could not accomplish what I needed to do, or became weak-spirited, and wanted to backslide into merely a laptop.

Success. Did my geophysical work, helped a buddy test a Keynote presentation (Logmein to a Mac), read a little eBook, did some banking, set up routers, sent email, and now, wrote this post.

The "cold turkey" approach has brought to me an additional appreciation for my Surface Pro 3. It can replace my iPad, MacBook Pro, and Desktop, now that I've tried to go Cold Turk-Key.

Last edited:

Bandito

Yes, it's certainly very doable.

Remember back in the old days (around 2007) when they said that typing on a touchscreen was simply not going to work and only a real keyboard would be practical? :rolleyes:

ipaq_101

Now that I think about it, I use the keyboard a lot less than before, maybe I am picking up new habits.

bluegrass

sharpcolorado - I think sometimes that's a great way to approach changes. That's the way I quit smoking 15 years ago after having smoked almost 35 years off and on. Now I just vape but not tob.

When I get my dock setup, I want to take that approach in not using my i7 Dell desktop anymore. Oh, I'll keep it around as a backup but I want to do everything on my Surface. One good reason is that I can pop it out of the dock and still have everything with me away from home. Yes, I might bag one or two USB hard disks with my Surface.

Just ordered a Waterfield Outback Solo for carrying my SP3 around in. It's was a bit more than I probably should pay for a bag but I wanted one to match the classy look of the Surface.

sdreamer

I agree, it's very capable without a keyboard to the point it actually can work without a keyboard. Hence why MS just needs to release a cover that uses the magnets, but doesn't contain any fanciness. I think that would help with all the reviewers complaining that the keyboard isn't included. MS gives us the option to choose if we want the keyboard or not, but doesn't give us proper alternatives. I'm surprised third parties haven't taken advantage of this yet.

revmike

I agree, it's very capable without a keyboard to the point it actually can work without a keyboard. Hence why MS just needs to release a cover that uses the magnets, but doesn't contain any fanciness. I think that would help with all the reviewers complaining that the keyboard isn't included. MS gives us the option to choose if we want the keyboard or not, but doesn't give us proper alternatives. I'm surprised third parties haven't taken advantage of this yet.

Been waiting for that since the first surface was released.