What's new

Coming from Macbook Air (mid-2011) i7

Just picked up a SP3 i5 128 gig.

So far so good, however I am wondering if I need to match the processor of the computer I am coming from. I have been using a Macbook Air mid-2011 i7 laptop. The computer is fast and smooth. Should I exchange my i5 SP3 to match the processing power of my Mac or will I not notice a difference? Thanks.

I will be doing heavy Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel plus a ton of PDF viewing and markup.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
An i5 will handle the tasks you outlined. You might notice a little difference but you might want to spend that money on something else. you have the i5 now so you should be able to tell if it will meet you needs pretty quick.

As a stockholder id encourage you to buy the i7 512 though :D

OP
D

doublestack1

Thanks.

In terms of what I see in performance, it does lag a tiny bit compared to the Air. Will have to see if I can live with it. If not, I do hope it helps the share price.

Grumpy2

I went with the Sp3 i7/256 because I have an hp Touchsmart all-in-one with a 23inch screen i7 processor 16GB ram and 2TB hard drive. The i7 Sp3 is probably over the top for my needs but it is lightning fast (faster than my hp all-in-one) and I am happy with my purchase. I bought this mainly to carry with me when travelling as my laptop is too big and bulky.

InspectHerGadget

The i7 model is faster than the specs might indicate. I know it sounds like a self serving accolade from an owner but I've done some comparisons and it can be more than twice as fast as the i5. Obviously it is program dependent but on the programs I use such as MYOB, the difference in performance was 2 - 3 times better. Remember it isn't just the clock speed, it is the memory cache size, the graphics and maybe other things beside that I don't understand.

dportal2006

Just picked up a SP3 i5 128 gig.

So far so good, however I am wondering if I need to match the processor of the computer I am coming from. I have been using a Macbook Air mid-2011 i7 laptop. The computer is fast and smooth. Should I exchange my i5 SP3 to match the processing power of my Mac or will I not notice a difference? Thanks.

I will be doing heavy Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel plus a ton of PDF viewing and markup.
You will probably not see any discernable difference.