What's new

Comparing to the RT

I've been interested in upgrading from my Surface RT for a while now. I had kind of convinced myself I liked the Pro 3 i3, then this came out.

I use my Surface for word processing, keeping up with email and surfing the internet, my concept of gaming is Words With Friends on Facebook. I use the RT kind of as a personal teleprompter. I'm a preacher, and the Surface sits on my pulpit when I preach.

The RT has adequately met all those needs. It does sometimes throttle a little more than I like, but that's not too bad.

If the Surface 3 will do what I do then it would be good.
If I went to the Pro 3 how much difference would I see for the applications I use?

I had asked a similar question pre Surface 3, but it seems I need to ask again since this device has come out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even the Surface 2 (non-Pro) is substantially faster than the RT. It's not that the RT is throttling it more a case of lagging. Throttling is different in that it's being held back due to heat, lagging is not keeping up because its a bit underpowered (a lot underpowered). The other issue you may encounter is slowness due to WiFi connection to Internet.

Check this thread...
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/surface-2-vs-surface-3-should-you-upgrade.14745/
Post #13 has some graphs of preliminary comparison of Surface 2, Surface 3, Surface Pro 3

From the preliminary tests I have seen the Surface 3 will be a good bit faster than the Surface 2 which should feel awesome coming from an RT, still it will be slower than the Surface Pro.

The Surface RT on those graphs would be well below the Surface 2.
Here's the same benchmark (results vary) between Surface RT and Surface 2.
Neowin took the numbers and made their own bar graphs.
0-RT.PNG

0-S2.PNG

IMO If you've been relatively happy with the RT you will love the Surface 3 (unless someone uncovers a showstopper on the Surface 3 which seems unlikely) and save a couple hundred over buying an SP3.

I'm planning on getting a Surface 3 with 128GB storage to replace my Surface 2 with 64GB but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

ctitanic

I agree. For somebody coming from Windows RT, the 3 is a paradise. You will find all programs that you were using in RT plus a lot more.