What's new

Complaints with the Surface Pro

polbit

Bringing iPad to a stylus discussion is a low blow, especially to a lefty like me. I spent 2 months trying to figure out a way to take good notes on an iPad. Impossible I say!

souldier

I just either keep the stylus in the magnetic port or clipped to a shirt pocket as I would a normal pen. I'm sure most ppl don't throw their surface in a random bag but have it in a case designed for a tablet or laptop. My stylus never comes off while in transit because its held secure in my travel case or laptop back pack

My complaints on the SP are, the kickstand doesn't provide alternate angling, the battery life is horrible and the lack of apps when Microsoft has the use of real programs. Remember TuCows and all those programs, where are the programs? Microsoft should be further ahead in this tablet/pc game. I have also found that when I reach into my backpack to find that my SP is super hot and dead from running and not going into hibernate or standby adding to the battery life issue. I am a Microsoft fan but I need a device that works, not a test device that cost me 1000.00. I'm trying to utilize my SP over my Ipad 2 but these issues are making it very difficult. I'm on the cusp of taking the unit back and waiting for SP2, maybe these bugs will be work out by then.

LarryP

It does not fit on airline trays...

How and why would Microsoft design a device to be used while traveling that does not fit on economy seat trays?

OUCH!

Battery life... Problem back in the mid to late 1990's, why would Microsoft design a device that has TERRIBLE battery life.

OUCH

No Ethernet port

OUCH!

#@$@%#@

But I love my surface pro!

Cike

Honestly the stylus complaints are unfounded. It simply wasn't designed for that kind of thing.

I love this, but let me reword it slightly:

"The problem isn't that it doesn't have a stylus slot, the problem is that you want one." :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Hi Willie and Larry, welcome. How is 4-6 hours of battery life horrible and terrible? TuCows and all those programs you can still put on the Pro. Virtually nothing of legacy programs is missing (though there may be touch compatibility issues etc. with the new version of Windows). Almost none of the thin and light ultrabooks come with Ethernet ports. Surface should fit fine on a standard airline tray with keyboard and even if it doesn't you have tablet mode, on screen keyboard and stylus input.

Nuspieds

TuCows and all those programs you can still put on the Pro. Virtually nothing of legacy programs is missing (though there may be touch compatibility issues etc. with the new version of Windows).
Exactly! I successfully replaced my ThinkPad W700 with the Surface Pro; I reinstalled and am running all my apps without any issues.

Almost none of the thin and light ultrabooks come with Ethernet ports.
I'm a security- and speed-freak, so when originally researching the Surface Pro and I discovered that it didn't have an Ethernet port, I immediately started another research: Ethernet via USB.

Surely enough, it existed and so I no longer had any concerns. Yes, it would mean more attachments/dongles but, again, that's my choice due to my security- and speed-paranoia. :) I've been using it and it works great, so definitely no issues or complaints from me regarding that capability.

The bottom line is that with just one USB 3.0 port, I have still been able to mitigate all my concerns by using a USB hub/dongle. Perhaps future versions will include additional ports but all I know is that for now, a portable USB hub is serving my needs.

HD_Dude

Complaints?

Well, the stylus is not an issue for me. Never use it. If I lost it I wouldn't care. Anyway, I'm sure the case and sleeve makers will make a stylus slot in some cool Surface bag.

Battery life? All I need is the ability to stay up and running on a flight across the country. Got it. Not all flights have an AC power jack under your seat.

USB Ports? As mentioned above - one 3.0 port = 50 USB ports, if you just use a hub. BTW I use my USB port for a 4G LTE USB modem. Sweet.

Storage - I have a 64GB card in use. I would like another slot - but not for storage. I'd dedicate it to Ready Boost. Turbo that sucker! And, as someone said with perfect clarity - use an external HD. I did that with my iPad 3, hooked up a 1TB external WD Passport filled with movies, and - then I woke up from my dream.

Power - OK, I would prefer a 'mainstream' power connection, so I could use the various USB chargers I have. No big deal.

Apps - Not a Surface Pro complaint, per se, but a Microsoft store complaint. iGrill! Gotta have iGrill! TripIt! Flightboard! Flight Track Pro! Starbucks! Etc....

But - there are programs. Real software. Love that I can use ACDSee and iTunes and Silverlight and everything else I use every day in my work. LOVE having Office on a tablet!! Yes!

Cost - well, who knows about this. We're kind of the Lexus set, by having the Pro. Nothing wrong with that. Good to have dough.

Type Cover - love it. Love that it's gray flannel on the outside. Elegant.

Availability - as a blogger pointed out, when Apple products are hard to get, it's headlined as 'Apple in Hot Demand!' When Surface sells out, it's headlined as: 'Microsoft Blows the Surface Debut by Lack of Inventory.' The tech media seem to save an entire quiver of poison arrows just for Microsoft. Get over it.

Anyway, I finally have it all. Best tablet on the planet. Work? Done! Fun? Done! Amazing screen, gorgeous appearance, and that sexy kickstand. Love the Surface Pro!

zhenya

Complaints?

Availability - as a blogger pointed out, when Apple products are hard to get, it's headlined as 'Apple in Hot Demand!' When Surface sells out, it's headlined as: 'Microsoft Blows the Surface Debut by Lack of Inventory.' The tech media seem to save an entire quiver of poison arrows just for Microsoft. Get over it.

Get real. Microsoft DID blow the launch; having 0-2 64GB models available at each store the day of your launch is very, very different than the typical Apple launch where at least dozens if not hundreds of devices will be allocated to a store, and, and this is the big one, you can place an order online and just wait to have one delivered! Microsoft would have saved themselves from the bulk of the criticism if they had just allowed people to place an order and wait. Instead they forced people to chase three different inventory systems, run around town checking stores, and place repetitive calls, just to find one available.

No, it's not a big deal when a company sells out of a new release product that is for all intents and purposes not available in any volume. The media was, by and large, rightfully wary of making a big deal about the SP's sales; the few sites that reported it in glowing terms were obvious MS shills or just plain clueless.

Nuspieds

Get real. Microsoft DID blow the launch; having 0-2 64GB models available at each store the day of your launch is very, very different than the typical Apple launch where at least dozens if not hundreds of devices will be allocated to a store, and, and this is the big one, you can place an order online and just wait to have one delivered! Microsoft would have saved themselves from the bulk of the criticism if they had just allowed people to place an order and wait. Instead they forced people to chase three different inventory systems, run around town checking stores, and place repetitive calls, just to find one available.
Launch was an utter disaster. At the end of that weekend, I started to question if the 128GB model had really launched and was truly available for purchase. At one point I called MS and the customer service rep told me that the 128GB model was not out yet! That weekend was just full of conflicting information. Furthermore, it was clear that decent quantities were not in stock no matter which store you went to.

But as you stated, even if that's the case and you give them a pass on that, why could I still not go online and order one? Once again, even more frustration.

Their screw-up went beyond launch weekend because the very following weekend, I was out again, this time more optimistic to snatch one because MS sent out a tweet earlier in the week that inventory would be available by the weekend. All through that week and up to midnight Friday I kept on checking online to see if inventory would be available and they were not. Again, more frustration.

So Saturday morning comes, Feb. 16th and out I go to Best Buy. You know what? It was like the launch weekend all over again. Ridiculous! I went to the MS store and the guy told me that unless I had my name on a list, then I wasn't going to get one because they were all sold out. Huh?! The Best Buys said they didn't have any inventory for sale and the 2 or 3 they had were already reserved for those who pre-ordered. That was even more interesting, because earlier in the week I asked if they were going to take pre-orders and I was told no.

I actually gave up and came back home and started to order via the MS online store, which at the time was estimating shipping on March 1. I was just about to checkout, when I decided to compare the MicroSDXC card from Best Buy and I noticed that they were now showing inventory. That's when I quickly placed my store pick-up order at Best Buy.

Disappointment came about 1/2 hour later when I got an email stating that the order could not be fulfilled due to insufficient quantity-on-hand. Frustration, again! I called customer service and they found only one store with inventory (4), so they redirected my order there and, luckily, I finally got my SP 128GB. Ironically, it was the first Best Buy I had visited and they told me that none were available.

This was a ridiculous and unnecessary drama not just for one weekend, but for two. I couldn't help but to feel completely skeptical about the whole thing.

Last edited:

HD_Dude

It depends on your personal experience.

On day one, I walked into Best Buy and bought the 128GB Pro. Probably helped that I was there when the store opened, but still, they had 'em.

Then on Wednesday of last week, walked into another Best Buy and bought another 128GB Pro, for a gift.

Not doubting you, but I had zero problems getting a couple of 'em.