What's new

Complaints

ipaq_101

I haven't received the keyboard cover yet, and I keep clicking on the text fields thinking that the soft keyboard would pop up by default like on my android phone. It doesn't. I searched it online and came across a bunch of threads that suggest it's that way by design. This happens in desktop mode.

It's not about being new to windows. The device is literally a few days old, was it not ready and tested when it got pushed out? I've spent quite a bit of time and battery installing about 40 updates in the past 24 hours. Now, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I am a computer scientist and know how hard it is to develop hardware/software products. I just think they can do better to produce a more polished product.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/on-screen-keyboard-not-popping-up-automatically.10028/

kodos

I'm writing a Metro app right now for a client - and coming from the land of iOS, Android and Win32, it is brutal what Microsoft wants you to support in a Metro app.

Definitely takes a lot more effort to write one, than for other platforms. It is also even more discouraging because:
  • Lousy return on your investment for a Windows 8 app compared to iOS because of marketshare.
  • Design language is very different from iOS and Android. Requiring a complete rethinking of your application. I also argue that not too many app designs are successful or translate easily to "Metro" or "Modern Style" design language.
That said, it has been rewarding working on the project. But, I find myself sometimes looking at the clock and thinking, "if I wasn't really passionate about this project, I'd probably be looking to invest my time writing something for iOS right now".

And I think it shows with the half-hearted apps that litter both the Windows Phone and Windows 8 Stores. Sadly.

DXL007

I use Chrome 64bit (38.0.2114.2 dev-m (64-bit)) and have no problems at all. I use everything Google and have no issues.

I use Chrome tab for
1. Gmail (and my work email)
2. Calendar
3. Music
4. Contacts

And I have Google drive running in the background syncing all my stuff that is important every second I make a change.

leeshor

I use Chrome 64bit (38.0.2114.2 dev-m (64-bit)) and have no problems at all. I use everything Google and have no issues.

I use Chrome tab for
1. Gmail (and my work email)
2. Calendar
3. Music
4. Contacts

And I have Google drive running in the background syncing all my stuff that is important every second I make a change.

There certainly is no reason for that not to work. The only problem people have had is the excessive battery drain using Chrome. If it works for you that's great.

Liam2349

I don't know why Chrome has issues, nor Firefox (I think Firefox is ok on my SP2), however IE Metro is a great browser. Touch controls work extremely well and it's a pleasure to use - IE Metro also provides the best battery life of any browser.

DXL007

I use my SP 3 in desktop mode only. I never use metro apps, and when I do I run them using Modern Mix within my desktop.

bluegrass

This might help with summoning your keyboard in desktop mode. At least it works for me. There is a keyboard icon in the task tray that you can click on to bring up the keyboard.

wynand32

I find the power connector to be about perfect--pulls out easily enough to avoid damage to it or an SP3 that goes flying across the room when someone trips over the cord, and yet the magnet's strong enough to keep it in place otherwise (in my experience). The connector on my MacBook Air falls out pretty much when you look at it wrong.

And, as far as using in portrait, I'm not sure why that's an issue since there are really two portrait orientations--I don't have a problem with the power cord when I put my SP3 with the start button on top.

Of course, mileage varies depending on how one uses the machine, but in my case I've been pleased with the power connector except: I do wish it would showing charging status, and turn off when the SP3 is fully charged (or blink when charging and go solid when charged, or something).

OP
pvc

pvc

If you're that closed minded about Metro I don't think there's anything anyone can say to change your mind. Metro is optimized for tablet mode and to fully utilize the tablet functionality Metro is essential. I quickly learned this when I purchased my SP3. Google has there own tablet products and Firefox is working on a phone\tablet OS as well so they're probably not inclined to push products for Metro at this time. Buy yourself a good laptop and good luck to you.

Funny thing is that I actually think Metro is the good part of Window 8.1. Everything scales so well in it and runs smoothly. I hope Microsoft can find a better way to get more people to adopt it so companies start supporting it better.

I hope MS pays you for making up excuses for them. As I said, I bought it to do real work. I am not gonna play around with the silly metro. Yeah, sure I could get a "real" laptop but this thing is advertised and sold as one.

All I'm asking for is a smooth desktop experience on a ~$2000 hybrid. I don't think I'm asking for too much.