What's new

Complaints

wynand32

Ironically, and this is a heads-up: as much as I was defending the power connector in my earlier post, this morning I pulled it off my SP3 at what must have been a bad angle (I didn't pull hard enough to bother it, certainly) and the connection between the plug and the cable was stressed. Now, it won't charge anything (and, I just happen to have a second SP3 in my possession to check it against).

Huge grrrr... I'll be hitting Microsoft up to replace it, because really I wasn't at all forceful and it should never have been damaged that way. If they won't, it's $80. Ouch.

Rugbyguy541

Has anyone else had constant crashes? Mine mainly happen when I am on battery and studying, but then again I am always studying! But It has not crashed when playing Counter Strike or Dota 2, but when I am laying on the couch studying it can crash up to 4-5 times in a few hours, some of them immediately back to back. I have wiped, I have done everything I can think of with no luck. I am planning on sending it back come the end of the semester for a new one, but anyone had this? Also my keyboard will sometimes just not work, and alot of other issues. I am mainly curious if I am the only one with these kinds of issues.

Rugbyguy541

Now that you mention it, I have to say that my SP3 has been one of my more reliable machines. I can't remember a single crash since I've been using mine.

I can't WAIT till school is over and I can return it. Just today I am probably on crash 9 or 10, almost want to throw it out the window. I talked to MS support and they have no idea.

OP
pvc

pvc

Ironically, and this is a heads-up: as much as I was defending the power connector in my earlier post, this morning I pulled it off my SP3 at what must have been a bad angle (I didn't pull hard enough to bother it, certainly) and the connection between the plug and the cable was stressed. Now, it won't charge anything (and, I just happen to have a second SP3 in my possession to check it against).

Huge grrrr... I'll be hitting Microsoft up to replace it, because really I wasn't at all forceful and it should never have been damaged that way. If they won't, it's $80. Ouch.

That sucks. I wouldn't pay $80 for the connector. That's why I hate on the proprietary connectors; they are so yesterday and some companies have the audacity to bring them back. If you wanna go on a budget, you can get the RT adapter and with some soldering you might be able to connect it to your sp3 brick. You might even be able to find an aftermarket connector or something and do the same thing.

OP
pvc

pvc

I can't WAIT till school is over and I can return it. Just today I am probably on crash 9 or 10, almost want to throw it out the window. I talked to MS support and they have no idea.
Mine crashed today when I tried to connect to Starbucks WiFi and then tried to switch to my phone's WiFi hotspot when the first attempt was unsuccessful. But that's been the only crash. Is it heating up by any chance? Try running speedfan or something to check your temperatures. Also, have you dropped it at all and is it plugged in when this happens?

Rugbyguy541

It get's warm, but never super hot, no drops. This happens both plugged and unplugged but much much more frequently when unplugged, JUST had it happen again, forced me to call it on studying for the night haha.

OP
pvc

pvc

Do you have any USB devices connected to it? This sort of thing usually happens when you have bad drivers, but surface is a bit different since MS makes both the hardware and the software. If it is not something you installed or outdated drivers, this could be due to a hardware failure. Corrupt HDD (SMART scan), cracks on the motherboard, or bad ram (memtest). If you can return or replace it, do that asap.

wynand32

As an update, I took my non-functioning power adapter to the Microsoft Store and they exchanged it on the spot for a new boxed unit. No questions asked.

I have to say, I've been very impressed with Microsoft's service since buying an SP3. They're serious about making this thing successful.

malberttoo

It get's warm, but never super hot, no drops. This happens both plugged and unplugged but much much more frequently when unplugged, JUST had it happen again, forced me to call it on studying for the night haha.

You should seriously consider doing a full reset/restore. It fixed so many issues on my SP3, I'm so happy with it now.