What's new

Computer's reliability and problem history

I am new (again) to windows after a long departure to OSX. Want to love the Surface Book. I get that I investing the time in a 6 month old OS on a 1 month old hardware platform, but should this be concerning to me?

reliability.png

reliability2.png

Clicking 'Check for Solution' does nothing on any of them....

leeshor

That's a pretty wide range of issues. Some would appear to be display driver related and some are something else but there doesn't seem to be anything connecting them as far as I can see. Do you have all the updates you could get, until there are no more? Try restarting and see what happens if you just use Office apps. Nothing else. Do you have a microSD card installed?

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
First, Thank you

Do you have all the updates you could get, until there are no more?
- yes, check every hour it seems, but defiantly daily. Always seems to be a Windows Defender one daily.

Try restarting and see what happens if you just use Office apps.

Interesting you say that, the 23rd, the day with no issues, I turned it on, connected to a dock, Monitor, Ethernet, keyboard and Mouse, and used Outlook, Excel, and WebEx all day with no issues.

Do you have a microSD card installed?
No, but I could if you think that would help?

This is probably a 'red herring' but, it seems to have issues when products simultaneously try to use the SSD. Like DropBox sync and Outlook then Outlook will get all spinny and slow to respond. Or the Index Service is running and consuming 30% CPU fans running, then apps get all weird. Probably not related.

once again, Thank you for the response.

leeshor

Try not using Edge to access the Internet and see if anything crashes. That will be a starting point. Do you have a lot syncing with OneDrive? You may want to try logging out to see if that makes a difference too. Is your Outlook all local files?

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
Try not using Edge to access the Internet and see if anything crashes
firefox user, but that is where most of the video driver failures occurred a few a days ago.

Do you have a lot syncing with OneDrive?
9 gig total, but big OneNote user and that syncs to OneDrive. Dropbox is large (100+ Gig) low access, and BOX is 20 Gig and spreedsheets and Docs for work.

Is your Outlook all local files?
yes, meaning that I have a local copy of the Exchange Data (thought it was called off line or something)

Where I am only 6 days in, I am going to do a full recovery tonight. I shutdown at work, came home and the screen attached in laptop mode, upside down, I needed to eject the screen flip it around and re-attach...

I would hate to be 3 weeks from now wishing I tried the full recovery.

Will let you know where I end up.....

once again Thank you for your thoughts.

leeshor

It sounds like you may have some WiFi lag with all that going on. You may have offline Outlook files but when Outlook is active it's trying to communicate with the Exchange Server and lots of, (other), syncing too.

What router are you using and at what speed?

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
I did a complete restoral of the system. Interesting startup. COMPLETLY different that the botched one when I opened the box.

I posted in this post the bazar start up. This time, unlike last. It created a local account. It set up the 'Hello' Camera Log in Feature, and a few other items that did not occur last time.

Also there was a 11/18 firmware update that I thought the unit did, but for sure was not being offered on the previous build, needed to be done.

Anyways, take two, Display driver still failing (with Edge, as I have not installed Fire Fox yet). Time to figure out which Office to install 32 or 64.

leeshor

You said at one point that you went quite a while DOCKED without a problem. I wonder if you could narrow it down to WiFi. You have a ton of stuff syncing. Most of the programs syncing check all the items on both ends frequently to see if anything has changed. They aren't just acting on the one new object that needs to be synced.

gootdude

Notice how no one else is posting their reliability history report? That's because they are all the same for surface book and surface pro 4. There are tons of daily app/driver crashes, and few windows crashes.

I have yet to see anyone with a surface book or surface pro 4 post a reliability history report that contains anything but crashes every day. No SB/SP4 has a reliability history of even 4 (out of 10).

I returned my surface book so I wouldn't be stuck replacing it, since I haven't seen Microsoft fix any of these issues on the Surface 3/ Surface Pro 3, which both can't sleep properly without draining battery or losing wifi connection.

Maybe enough folks will return them and force Microsoft to actually source components with working drivers.

flar

Notice how no one else is posting their reliability history report? That's because they are all the same for surface book and surface pro 4. There are tons of daily app/driver crashes, and few windows crashes.

I have yet to see anyone with a surface book or surface pro 4 post a reliability history report that contains anything but crashes every day. No SB/SP4 has a reliability history of even 4 (out of 10).

I have a SB and I have had very few crashes. In nearly a month of ownership I can remember maybe 2 crashes. I've had a few cases of something not working after sleep and had to reboot - maybe 5 or 6 of those but they were early on as well. These days my daily experience is a complete lack of any crashing...

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones - it's not like I haven't seen it do odd things in the past, but they were mostly recoverable and mostly fixed by now and I have not had many crashes at all in all that time. I even use Chrome with no battery drain or crashing either. (Occasionally the fans kick in and I find a Chrome window in the background with some animation-hungry flash ad in it, but I quit that window and the CPU goes quiet again.)

You are seeing the experiences of those who have experiences that they need to describe on a forum - those are the experiences of people having problems. The people not having problems are busy using their devices and not complaining on the forums about crashing every day...

gootdude

I have a SB and I have had very few crashes.

Post screenshot of your reliability history, which I'm sure looks very similar to the one posted.

I doubt you notice all the issues that are actually happening, since Windows is actually amazing at recovering from various driver issues, but various issues happen all the time during resume from sleep, hibernate, even windows lock screen which are all reflected in the reliability report.