What's new

Concerns about SP3 cases.

Hello,

I have been looking at a case for my SP3. I have a sleeve, but I would like to have a hard, protective case. I looking at these two:

URBAN ARMOR GEAR Folio Case http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M2UK8A8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fWerub1CAGHSM

MoKo Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Case - Ultra Slim
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGOAZT6/

I am partial to the Urban Armor Gear because I have one on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and I love it. I have the black and white one, so it kind of looks like a Storm Trooper lol.

Anyhow, my one concern about any hard case in general is the heat produced by the SP3. I have an i7, and it can get pretty hot at times. Will a case cause major overheating or throttling due to lack of heat dissipation?

Thank you in advance for your responses and help.

TeknoBlast

There's one very intensive Urban review somewhere here in the forums, which covers everything about the cover. My Urban should arrive later today.

There's one very intensive Urban review somewhere here in the forums, which covers everything about the cover. My Urban should arrive later today.

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to search for it. I really would like to get the UAG, but I am afraid of the heat issue...if there is an issue, at all.

r0b123

Agree, someone posted a review of the UAG and its currently in my amazon cart...

Thanks for posting the MoKo case. I was looking at the UAG but like how the MoKo includes a place to hold the stylus and works with the type cover. I might get this one instead but curious about comparison feedback on both.

Agree, someone posted a review of the UAG and its currently in my amazon cart...

Thanks for posting the MoKo case. I was looking at the UAG but like how the MoKo includes a place to hold the stylus and works with the type cover. I might get this one instead but curious about comparison feedback on both.

No problem!

I really dig the UAG, but the MoKo is really nice, too. I am just concerned about the heat at this point. Other tan that, I am ready to pull the trigger on one, probably the UAG since I have the experience with it.

I have the i7 256gb model and the Moko and have no issues with the heat. There are slots in the case lined up with the vents on the SP3 so it doesn't hinder the vents at all. Reasons I went for this over others like the UAG is I liked the fact that it uses the SP3's kickstand, it has a slot to place the stylus clip in and it has the cover with the magnetic tab. If you have the type cover attached then the covers magnetic tab can't quite reach so it won't stay closed but that's not really an issue for me... it's just nice to know should you go with out your type cover the Moko's cover will protect your screen. The UAG does look nice and has plenty of settings for the built in stand so I don't think viewing angles will be an issue. The Moko is also about half the price. Only caution I would mention is I have the StickerBoy skins and the side ones have gotten a little gouged up from sliding it into the Moko case but I wasn't too surprised.

Chuck_IV

I actually have both. I used the Moko for a while and really liked it except for a couple things, one was the added flap over the keyboard cover. Made for nice added protection but seemed to be in my way more often than not. Two was the pen clip slot. I clipped my pen there for a week or so and noticed it really stretched out the pen clip to where there the pen wasn't holding near as snug as it had, to the slot. The pen clip now has a gap between it and the pen making the pen less secure when clipping it to something thinner.

My other concern was the slight sliding of the SP3 within the case when you opened the stand. I was concerned that over time, the movement would cause wear marks on the frame from the clips holding it in the case.

I so far love the Urban Armor case but haven't had it on long to really comment (only a few days). I will say it doesn't play nice with my screen protector. It kept bubbling up the edges because the frame was so tight arounds the edges.