What's new

Connected Standby - Confused Out of My Mind

cvc988

I'm trying to wrap my head around Connected Standby. Can someone provide some clarity? Here are my questions:

1) Does going to shut down - standby automatically engage connected standby?
2) How is sleep different than connected standby?
3) How come in my power profile, there is only automatic sleep, not automatic standby?

Essentially, I want my computer to be in a ultra-low power state when plugged in and not used for say 60 minutes, but be able to remote into it, when I need it, etc.

OP
C

cvc988

Also, how much power should sleep be using? I.e., say I'm on battery and it sleeps for 4 hours, how much % of battery (roughly of course) should I expect to lose?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All Desktop Applications get suspended while in Connected Standby, Only WinRT (Modern UI) Apps are able to stay connected while in CS, Win32 Applications treat Connected Standby the same as traditional sleep.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also, how much power should sleep be using? I.e., say I'm on battery and it sleeps for 4 hours, how much % of battery (roughly of course) should I expect to lose?
In 4 hours in Connected Standby you should lose no more than 1 to 5%....

OP
C

cvc988

OK a few more questions on this:

1) I'm seeing that after letting the PC "sleep" on battery for ~5 minutes, I can wake it back up with the mousepad, etc. After 8 hours, though, I need to use the power button. Why? Is it in a deeper sleep/hibernate or something? I don't see a setting for this anywhere.
2) In the scenario above, when I swipe away the "screensaver image", it says my name and locked but instantly unlocks without my password. After the extended time though, I need my password. Where do I fix this so it always asks for a password?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK a few more questions on this:

1) I'm seeing that after letting the PC "sleep" on battery for ~5 minutes, I can wake it back up with the mousepad, etc. After 8 hours, though, I need to use the power button. Why? Is it in a deeper sleep/hibernate or something? I don't see a setting for this anywhere.
2) In the scenario above, when I swipe away the "screensaver image", it says my name and locked but instantly unlocks without my password. After the extended time though, I need my password. Where do I fix this so it always asks for a password?
0 to 4 hours = Connected Standby
4 to 12 hours = Modified "Lite" Hibernation
12+ hours = Deep Hibernation

Password Policy can be controlled through the Screensaver Control Panel under Personalize

clrk9000

Is it possible to increase the length of time for CONNECTED STANDBY?

I know I will take a hit on battery life but it will be more useful for me to have my SP3 on connected standby. Thanks for those who could provide answers.

OP
C

cvc988

0 to 4 hours = Connected Standby
4 to 12 hours = Modified "Lite" Hibernation
12+ hours = Deep Hibernation

Password Policy can be controlled through the Screensaver Control Panel under Personalize
What does connected standby have to do with screen saver? My screensaver is currently set to none.