What's new

Connected Standby - Confused Out of My Mind

foghat

You should not be always in connected standby unless something is running that prevents the unit to go in to deep sleep. In the morning, do you have use the power button to wake your Surface Up? if you do, that means that your Surface is not longer in connected Standby.

in the morning once i pull the charger out, sp3 turns on immediately. In all honesty, I like this. If plugged in, not sure why the default behavior isn't to remain in connected standby.

at any rate, I restarted the unit (which I haven't done in quite sometime) in the event something was preventing it from going into deep sleep, so will see what happens tomorrow morning.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Typically if the SP3 is plugged in it will be in Connected Standby, what I was referring to is behavior on Battery, as right now I'm in the North Sea on a Cruise Ship, been on it since August 3, I charged by SP3 to 100% in my Stateroom and I've used it only occasionally throughout the past week, leaving it unplugged I'm now at 46% battery after a week.... this is due to Connected Standby and Hibernation....

ctitanic

in the morning once i pull the charger out, sp3 turns on immediately. In all honesty, I like this. If plugged in, not sure why the default behavior isn't to remain in connected standby.

at any rate, I restarted the unit (which I haven't done in quite sometime) in the event something was preventing it from going into deep sleep, so will see what happens tomorrow morning.
As far as I know connected standby only happens when you are on battery.

foghat

Typically if the SP3 is plugged in it will be in Connected Standby, what I was referring to is behavior on Battery, as right now I'm in the North Sea on a Cruise Ship, been on it since August 3, I charged by SP3 to 100% in my Stateroom and I've used it only occasionally throughout the past week, leaving it unplugged I'm now at 46% battery after a week.... this is due to Connected Standby and Hibernation....

Okay. That makes sense. Thanks.

I am almost certain mine did not always do an 'instant on' after being plugged in all night. Though maybe I am misremembering and did not actually have the sp3 plugged in the cases I am thinking of.

I am also going to have to double check the behavior of my wife's unit.

As far as I know connected standby only happens when you are on battery.

It would seem that hibernation only occurs on battery - plugged in you remain in connected standby. At least that is what I seem to be experiencing.

ctitanic

It would seem that hibernation only occurs on battery - plugged in you remain in connected standby. At least that is what I seem to be experiencing.

Well, I have mine configured to never go to sleep if connected. In any case. Connected Standby is about saving energy. When you are connected there is not that need.

foghat

Well, I have mine configured to never go to sleep if connected. In any case. Connected Standby is about saving energy. When you are connected there is not that need.

I agree.

I was thinking about setting mine to never sleep when connected, but would like the screen to shut off after a couple hours of inactivity. Does not seem to be a way to do this without putting unit to sleep.

ctitanic

I agree.

I was thinking about setting mine to never sleep when connected, but would like the screen to shut off after a couple hours of inactivity. Does not seem to be a way to do this without putting unit to sleep.
Indeed, I have not found a good solution for that.

JRed

Thanks a lot for all those information, that’s really useful.

Now I’m not sure I understood everything. Is there a way to stay on CONNECTED STANDBY and never going to LITE or DEEP HIBERNATION? I don’t like the 20 second it take to restart, I want it on instantly!!!

ctitanic

Thanks a lot for all those information, that’s really useful.

Now I’m not sure I understood everything. Is there a way to stay on CONNECTED STANDBY and never going to LITE or DEEP HIBERNATION? I don’t like the 20 second it take to restart, I want it on instantly!!!
If it takes 20 seconds it means that You have a lot of software being started at Startup. Mine from totally off to On does not take more than 10 seconds maximum.

But answering your question. I personally have not found a way. The Surface 2 does that but in the PROD 3 MS decided to limit connected Standby to few hours.

Last edited:

bluegrass

I typically do a shutdown when I'm through working on my Surface & I'm on battery. What is the procedure to put it in connected standby?

ctitanic

I typically do a shutdown when I'm through working on my Surface & I'm on battery. What is the procedure to put it in connected standby?
If in the Start screen, top right, you click on the power button and then Sleep it goes to Connected Standby. If you select Shutdown it just Shutdown.

malberttoo

This would jive with my experience as well.

Never even realized up until now that Connected Standby may only be engaged while on battery, and plugged in, the SP3 just stays in normal sleep.