What's new

Connected Standby - Confused Out of My Mind

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just randomly curious why you don't leave yours plugged in overnight?
I only plug it in when I need to....I used it this morning for almost 5 hours (started at 54%) before plugging it in, once I get back to 100% I will run on it on battery until I get down around 10%....

I use it on battery 90% of the time....

smar

Some very useful info on connected standby in this thread!

One thought though - assuming I am not interested in having my SP3 updating its Metro apps in the background, and given that the hardware in the SP3 is optimised for low power, would I get better battery life in normal sleep mode as opposed to connected standby?

e.g. if a 'normal' laptop uses 500 mw, and a connected standby optimised hardware uses 150mw, then would I get even less power drain (i.e. less than 150mw) if I turned off the connected standby and used normal S3?

ctitanic

One thought though - assuming I am not interested in having my SP3 updating its Metro apps in the background, and given that the hardware in the SP3 is optimised for low power, would I get better battery life in normal sleep mode as opposed to connected standby?

e.g. if a 'normal' laptop uses 500 mw, and a connected standby optimised hardware uses 150mw, then would I get even less power drain (i.e. less than 150mw) if I turned off the connected standby and used normal S3?
In my experience, I hibernate my Surface every night and in the morning the battery level still at 100% when I turn it on.

phositadc

Unfortunately SP3 does not have normal sleep mode. Only connected standby and hibernate. Too bad, because I wanted to do the same thing you proposed. Don't need notifications, so don't need connected standby. That's what my phone is for. Don't need an "always on" laptop....

smar

Unfortunately SP3 does not have normal sleep mode. Only connected standby and hibernate. Too bad, because I wanted to do the same thing you proposed. Don't need notifications, so don't need connected standby. That's what my phone is for. Don't need an "always on" laptop....

From what I read here (http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-tip-hyper-v-vs-connected-standby) I think you can turn on/off connected standby by enabling hyper-v. I also recall reading somewhere that there was a setting in group policy editor (gpedit.msc) that can be used to disable connected standby.

EDIT: ctitanic has also posted reg changes for enabling/disabling connected standby: http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/disable-connected-standby.10901/

Once connected standby is turned off, wouldn't the sleep option come back? If you look at the youtube link below, he has sleep in his menu options.

Last edited:

phositadc

From what I read here (http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-tip-hyper-v-vs-connected-standby) I think you can turn on/off connected standby by enabling hyper-v. I also recall reading somewhere that there was a setting in group policy editor (gpedit.msc) that can be used to disable connected standby.

EDIT: ctitanic has also posted reg changes for enabling/disabling connected standby: http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/disable-connected-standby.10901/

Once connected standby is turned off, wouldn't the sleep option come back? If you look at the youtube link below, he has sleep in his menu options.

Hmm, I've never actually tried it, but my understanding is that, in that situation, choosing sleep actually puts you in hibernate. As far as I know there is no way to get traditional sleep in SP3, but I could be wrong.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, no. Sleep is still connected standby (which routinely crashes my machine).
If Connected Standby is crashing then you have software or a driver that is causing it, have you ran a Sleep Study and/or Energy Report.

I have had 2 crashes related to Connected Standby/Hibernate since June 20th delivery, both within the first couple months, both were issues coming out of Hibernate.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Traditional Sleep is the S3 Power State, it stores everything in RAM and is maintained via the battery or mains but a loss in power (through failure or drain) will mean loss of data.

Connected Standby in the x86/x64 Architecture is S0iX it is an ultra-low power "ON" State and replaces the S3 Power State. On all Connected Standby enabled Machines (with the exception of the Surface Pro 3) the only Power States Available are:

S0 - On
S0iX - Connected Standby (now known as InstantGo)
S5 - Off

The Surface Pro 3 uses an additional EEPROM to manage Power and Thermals that runs at a lower level than the OS, this adjusts the Power States the SP3 uses:

S0 - On
S0ix - Connected Standby
S4 Modified - Lite Hibernation
S4 - Traditional Hibernation
S5 - Off

On battery it will cycle through the above, on mains it will only use S0 and S0ix

S3 is a dying standard on highly mobile devices.

If Connected Standby is crashing then you have software or a driver that is causing it, have you ran a Sleep Study and/or Energy Report.

I have had 2 crashes related to Connected Standby/Hibernate since June 20th delivery, both within the first couple months, both were issues coming out of Hibernate.

I have before and could certainly run it again. What would I be looking for? I also have plenty of crash dumps that I've forwarded to MS, but have never heard back.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You are looking for something that is consuming much activity with the latest time stamp then drill down to find the device and then with some investigation look in the event logs to see if can find the Fault Bucket.

Or the easiest thing is to do a refresh or reset. The main culprits from my experience are 3rd Party Anti-virus Suites (Unfortunately Norton Consumer and MacAfee seem to cause much of it) Legacy Drivers, Legacy Win32 Code that leave bootstraps running for faster startups.