What's new

connected standby question

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on how you use your machine, I'm not surprised. On most modern Architectures a faster more powerful machine will only feel faster on computing tasks that require the extra Compute Power.

ctitanic

The i3 is the entry level of the family, a little more powerful than the Atom. To me, no big difference.

bluegrass

Depending on how you use your machine, I'm not surprised. On most modern Architectures a faster more powerful machine will only feel faster on computing tasks that require the extra Compute Power.

That's the most powerful and best statement I've read about modern day computers in a long time. This statement should be required reading by everyone. Especially those who think that their old cheap $200 tablet is just about as fast their Surface Pro 3 i3, i5 or i7. It has power, waiting to come out of the closet when needed.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's the most powerful and best statement I've read about modern day computers in a long time. This statement should be required reading by everyone. Especially those who think that their old cheap $200 tablet is just about as fast their Surface Pro 3 i3, i5 or i7. It has power, waiting to come out of the closet when needed.
Why thank you :)

uktivo

I may just be daft, but my sp3 shuts off if I close the keyboard. If I then open the keyboard, nothing happens. The windows logo is dead, if I press the power button, it powers up like it's been switched off. The same happens if I just press the power button. How do I check I have CS active?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From an elevated CMD Prompt run powercfg /sleepstudy copy the file from the C:\Windows\System 32 to your desktop and open in IE.

Have you enabled Hyper-V or installed Visual Studio 2012 or later?

uktivo

I do have hyper V installed. I suffer, like a few owners, with wifi transmission speeds. Mostly moving files over my network. I believe I switched on hyper V to help remove this issue. I'm not really sure if it helped or not now. Lol.
Is hyper V the culprit for my machine closing down and not going into CS?

In people's opinions. Which am I best to leave on, hyper, v or connected standby,,?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I do have hyper V installed. I suffer, like a few owners, with wifi transmission speeds. Mostly moving files over my network. I believe I switched on hyper V to help remove this issue. I'm not really sure if it helped or not now. Lol.
Is hyper V the culprit for my machine closing down and not going into CS?

In people's opinions. Which am I best to leave on, hyper, v or connected standby,,?
When you enable Hyper-V it disables Connected Standby and the only Power States are S0 (On) and S4 (Hibernate) and S5 (Off)....

If you want the S0iX Power State you would need to disable Hyper-V. Much of the transmission speed issues are around legacy router and APs...

TravFlex

I have a similar issue as the original poster. SP3, no hyper V or realy anything changed on the power profiles. When it goes to sleep (presumable Connected Standby) and I touch the windows button on the device it takes 3-4 seconds to wake up. It certainly doesn't feel 'Instant'.

Any suggestion on how to improve this?

Is anybody receiving e-mail notifications, Skype messages/calls and such when their SP3 is asleep? From what I read that's the whole point of connected standby, fast resume and notifications. When mine sleeps I get no notifications at all, Skype shows offline to others, etc. Then when it wakes up I get an avalanche of messages/notifications. It seems to me that Wifi get's disabled/turned off during Connected Standby but i'm not sure how to verify this.

To me having a device that functions as a tablet and a laptop should have these functions and I thought SP3 could do this when I bought it.

1.5 hours with the techs at the MS Store resulted in them first denying SP3 was Connected Standby enabled, then they asked me why I needed such a feature? Last they suggested I change the power settings to not let the device fall asleep. I had hope the techs at the MS store were knowledgeable about their products, but when I explained the issue they went on google to find out about. They had never heard of InstanGo and said only the original RT supported Connectec Standby and Push Notifications....sorry ..rant over.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a similar issue as the original poster. SP3, no hyper V or realy anything changed on the power profiles. When it goes to sleep (presumable Connected Standby) and I touch the windows button on the device it takes 3-4 seconds to wake up. It certainly doesn't feel 'Instant'.

Any suggestion on how to improve this?

Is anybody receiving e-mail notifications, Skype messages/calls and such when their SP3 is asleep? From what I read that's the whole point of connected standby, fast resume and notifications. When mine sleeps I get no notifications at all, Skype shows offline to others, etc. Then when it wakes up I get an avalanche of messages/notifications. It seems to me that Wifi get's disabled/turned off during Connected Standby but i'm not sure how to verify this.

To me having a device that functions as a tablet and a laptop should have these functions and I thought SP3 could do this when I bought it.

1.5 hours with the techs at the MS Store resulted in them first denying SP3 was Connected Standby enabled, then they asked me why I needed such a feature? Last they suggested I change the power settings to not let the device fall asleep. I had hope the techs at the MS store were knowledgeable about their products, but when I explained the issue they went on google to find out about. They had never heard of InstanGo and said only the original RT supported Connectec Standby and Push Notifications....sorry ..rant over.
Have you done a Sleep Study? From an elevated CMD Prompt run this command:

powercfg /sleepstudy
powercfg /energy

Copy the 2 reports from the C;|Windows\System32 directory to your profile and see what is happening to your machine...

TravFlex

Have you done a Sleep Study? From an elevated CMD Prompt run this command:

powercfg /sleepstudy
powercfg /energy

Copy the 2 reports from the C;|Windows\System32 directory to your profile and see what is happening to your machine...

I did, and redid just now. The sleepstudy report, it's a bit hard to figure out what it all means. Under 'Activators ' I notice ' No Activator Activity Reported' even though I tried to call it on Skype, sent several e-mails, etc. If an app was sending push messages would this be showing up here?

Am I correct to expect than when the SP3 is sleeping (e.g. 20 minutes or so) and I send it an e-mail I should be hearing/seeing notifications? Similar to the way an iPad shows the notifications when it's asleep (or whatever state of mind it goes to).