What's new

connected standby question

JoshB

I would expect the SP3 to respond as a desktop PC or Laptop running windows 8.1 would. The SP3 is a Computer with tablet form factor. It is running a full OS. You can set up things to work as you are mentioning, but there would be certain trade off's you would have to evaluate(primarily battery life)

TravFlex

You can set up things to work as you are mentioning, but there would be certain trade off's you would have to evaluate(primarily battery life)

I'm willing to live reduced battery life or at least give it a try. How would I go about setting it up like that? I thought it was meant to do this out of the box.

If you're going the 'enabled hyper v' and then 'tell it not to go asleep route' then that's not what I am after. My understanding is that Connected Standby is meant to keep it connected while in standby/sleep and would thus receive the Skype calls, e-mails, etc. I have just not heard from anyone who actually has this working.

JoshB

Connected Standby just leaves your device connected to devices while in standby. So when you turn it on, it is still connected to the wifi network/wired network and/or bluetooth devices. This allows you to turn it on and start using it right away.

The two methods you mentioned are about the methods you would typically use on a laptop or desktop to still continue receiving notifications from certain programs. You turn off Sleep, and your device is always on ready to let you know when something comes in or is happening.

I do not use many Metro Apps, so I do not know how they effect the Connected Standby differently, but I would not imagine they really would. I have some scripts setup in AutoHotKey to keep my unit awake when I need it to not go into sleep mode. And some others to quickly enable or disable sleep mode.

I have not messed around with looking into if the SP3 has 'wake' events. For my desktop PC, I have it wake up from sleep if there is LAN activity. I use this for my remote desktop software.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Connected Standby is the same type of Seep State we find on ARM based Tablets (iPads or Android) and Smartphones, with the SP3 on battery it only remains in Connected Standby for the first 4 hours then it goes into a hibernation state....

So during those 4 hours you should receive notifications from Modern UI Apps (Mail Client, Skype MUI, Facebook App) but you won't from any desktop applications as they are suspended because they lack compatibility with Connected Standby. If plugged in, the device will remain in Connected Standby.

TravFlex

So it wasn't doing this since I bought it. in Sleep I would get no notifications at all. but I am pretty sure I found the issue.

It was the Cisco VPN client which was one of the first things I installed. I removed it and now I seem to be getting notifications. It must have messed with the connectivity. I had read if others having issues with the VPN client but it installed find and worked find so I didn't really suspect it before.

The powercfg /energy report mentioned something about the driver and that got me looking into it.

Now of course I have to go find a VPN solution that doesn't conflict with connected standby.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So it wasn't doing this since I bought it. in Sleep I would get no notifications at all. but I am pretty sure I found the issue.

It was the Cisco VPN client which was one of the first things I installed. I removed it and now I seem to be getting notifications. It must have messed with the connectivity. I had read if others having issues with the VPN client but it installed find and worked find so I didn't really suspect it before.

The powercfg /energy report mentioned something about the driver and that got me looking into it.

Now of course I have to go find a VPN solution that doesn't conflict with connected standby.
Cisco's VPN has not played well with Windows 8.x and really has struggled with Connected Standby Machines (ATOM and SP3). Cisco, prior to Windows 8.x took over the GINA (Graphical Interface for Network Authentication) and attempted to make wholesale changes to the Security and Network Stack, Microsoft has tried to put a stop to that with Windows 8.x/RT, it is one of the major reasons Cisco didn't release its VPN client for RT, they wanted Kernel Access and MS refused...

Depending on the configuration your VPN uses, the built-in MUI VPN Client can work with Cisco.

TravFlex

It looks like my company VPN setup requires a group ID and password. Is that one of these things the built in Client cannot support? I selected 'Microsoft' as 'VPN provider' and there no place to put in the group info.

I have not tried this Deterministic Network Extended fix from Citrix yet, would that potentially help with the Connected Standby issue?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure, I abandoned 3rd Party VPN because of their insistence on screwing thing up with my client machines. I use Virtual Smartcards stored in TPM and Direct Access for my clients.

annabanana

3-4 seconds feels like instant to me, especially when compared to the company laptop that takes 90-100 seconds to boot up, then another minute or 2 for everything to load after logging in. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

JoshB

I guess I need to really start looking into MUI apps more. Seems like I must be missing things by not using them. :)