What's new

Connected to wifi but can't access internet

BrittW1017

I installed ExpressVPN but decided to switch subscriptions from a 6 month to monthly. I cancelled my 6 month membership and thought I had purchased a new one but apparently it didn't work. My internet and Netflix was fine for a few days until I got an email saying my refund was processed. After that I had no internet access even though I was connected to the wifi. I purchased a new subscription to ExpressVPN on my phone but still no internet. Then I uninstalled the VPN app and still no internet. When I open a browser it says DSN_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG
My phone has access to the Internet using the same wifi as my tablet.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I'm pretty certain the error started with DNS, which was probably a problem created by your VPN software. Go to your local WiFi settings on the Surface and look at the adapter properties. Under IPV4 input manual DNS as follows, 8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4

Report back

OP
B

BrittW1017

When I clicked on adapter properties under wifi settings, it brought up network connections with my wifi listed. I don't see IPV4 anywhere.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I clicked on adapter properties under wifi settings, it brought up network connections with my wifi listed. I don't see IPV4 anywhere.
You need to right click on the adapter and select Properties

upload_2016-2-13_13-2-30.png

leeshor

Glad it worked but there should have been 2 places one on top of the other, (or in this case below). That didn't really solve the problem but it will work.

rico

Hi all -- I hope everyone is having a great LD weekend. So I recently upgraded to a Netgear Orbi mesh router, which is great, but for some reason my SP3, since changing the router, frequently connects to the wifi but I get the yellow triangle and "no internet" notice. All of my other devices (laptops, streaming tv players, ipads, iphones) work fine with the new router, and my SP3 works fine on other wifi networks -- so I am pretty sure there's a problem with the communication between the SP3 and the new router.

I tried the solution posted in this thread, as well as the "reset networking" option in my network settings and rebooting my router.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rico

Thanks sharpuser. I'm away for a few days now but will give that I try when I return and report back!