What's new

Considering Buying RT 64 GB

BrianH

Hi,
I am VERY new to all this and considering buying RT 64 GB from UK.

I need to be able to:
Pick up emails with fairly large multiple attachments (10MB total) using wifi.
Reply to emails using wifi.
On my laptop I have Outlook which picks up my emails from my internet provider which I find really useful. Iam told outlook is n/a on RT
Select from these attachments (Word, Powerpoint,Excell, PDF) to gather them together into a folder for a meeting, select and read each doc marking it up with comments and then be able to open and read each document during the meeting (with no wireless connection). Is PDF a problem?
I need to be able to switch off wifi for plane journeys but still able to read /modify content
What battery life can I expect in real use. I have seen "up to 8 hours" and "up to 5 hours"
Does it come with a charger and does it have interchangeable pins for UK/France?

In effect I want to do what my laptop does but not so heavy in the suitcase.

I would be grateful any help/advice

BrianH

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The RT would work for what you are attempting to do and with the up coming RT 8.1 (free update available as a beta currently) Outlook 2013 will be added.

kristalsoldier

Responses in BOLD

Hi,
I am VERY new to all this and considering buying RT 64 GB from UK.

I need to be able to:
Pick up emails with fairly large multiple attachments (10MB total) using wifi. YES

Reply to emails using wifi. YES

On my laptop I have Outlook which picks up my emails from my internet provider which I find really useful. Iam told outlook is n/a on RT YES - In stable form after release of Win RT 8.1; YES - In beta form immediately - as Jim mentioned in his reply.

Select from these attachments (Word, Powerpoint,Excell, PDF) to gather them together into a folder for a meeting, select and read each doc marking it up with comments and then be able to open and read each document during the meeting (with no wireless connection). Is PDF a problem? YES - Marking up in Office docs very much possible with virtually full fidelity; Not sure about PDF - Possibly; Need to check this out.

I need to be able to switch off wifi for plane journeys but still able to read /modify content - YES

What battery life can I expect in real use. I have seen "up to 8 hours" and "up to 5 hours" I get around 8-9 hours depending on various things like level of brightness, which radios (BT, Wifi) are working etc.

Does it come with a charger and does it have interchangeable pins for UK/France? Frankly, I don't know. But it is possible to buy a location-specific charger if you are a frequent traveler to these places.

In effect I want to do what my laptop does but not so heavy in the suitcase. This mirrors my use scenario!

I would be grateful any help/advice

BrianH

Jglnaz372

Brian, with the 8.1 update out now in Beta and available soon, the RT should meet your needs if you are not in need of using a lot of legacy software. As I have posted in the past I have used the RT since last year, usually get over 8 hours of battery life and sometimes 9 if I am doing just web surfing, email, reading a book on the Kindle/Nook apps. Surface RT has Office included, will have Outlook when 8.1 is final, and you can always use a Remote Desktop app to work on a regular Windows OS computer. The Surface RT is thin and light enough to carry around, even with the touch cover, and has the sd card slot for even more storage if needed. I never knew if I could function without a full Windows software computer and I have not missed it one bit. This does not work for everyone, but RT has been ok for my computer needs. Good luck.

OP
B

BrianH

Took the plunge and ordered last night.

Thanks everyone for the help/advice.

Only question remaining is whether it is possible to mark up PDF docs with comments. I will post a separate thread.

hotphil

Does it come with a charger and does it have interchangeable pins for UK/France?
You'll get a UK charger. But the 3-pin UK attachment bit to it connects to the actual charger with a standard connection (I forget the exact name, but the figure-of-eight type plug (looking end on) that's common for portable appliances). You can do what I did and just buy a cable with your choice of wall plug on it that then plugs into the charger (if that makes sense). I found the default cable too short anyway, so it was a double-win.