Cool software that gives you control over the start button in the taskbar AND the Windows button!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by Zog1971, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Zog1971

Zog1971 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to pass along some info that I received in a thread that has dramatically enhanced how I use Windows 8.1 on my SP3. It is a program called Start8 and you can download a 30day free trial from the Stardock website or CNET. Anyway, it allows you to configure the start button on the taskbar to resemble the way it used to be in Windows7 and before. You can also download different skins for the start button and the start menu that then pops up. Also, it allows you to configure the physical Windows button on the SP3 to bring up your start menu rather than take you to Metro UI. I loved it so much just setting up the free trial that I immediately bought it. It is $4.99 by itself, but I bundled it with a program called ModernMix (from the Stardock website) for a total of $7.99. ModernMix gives you the ability to run your Metro apps in sizable windows on your desktop. If you're like me and live mostly in the desktop, the combo of these 2 programs is sooooo awesome and makes my personal experience in Windows 8.1 a real pleasure. I seriously love them both. I may never have to go into the Metro UI side of Windows again. :)

So, what's your experience with this software been? Or, do you have some other program you use to manage your start button options?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. Clovismod

Clovismod Member

Gary.M, ctitanic and Zog1971 like this.
  3. Zog1971

Zog1971 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Thanks for the info! This looks interesting for the more "forward" thinking user as it definitely has a Metro/Modern UI feel to it. I can definitely see Windows9 going in that direction. I personally am enjoying the "old school" comfort of the older start menu's that Start8 offers. (Ugh, he grunts, as he realizes he's becoming an old man.)

Does Reviver allow you to do anything with the actual physical Windows button on the SP3? I really like that about Start8, too.

4. Minty Trebor

Minty Trebor New Member

Classic Shell - Your choice of start menu, and how start button works etc. Lots of granularity in the control, can also bring back old windows explorer options, and IE options... Free too...
    http://www.classicshell.net/

5. ctitanic

ctitanic Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
  6. ctitanic

ctitanic Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Welcome aboard! I tired of the old one. It's just inefficient.

7. Clovismod

Clovismod Member

No. I've used a lot Start 8, topo and I agree it's a Great soft when you're on laptop mode. Start menu Reviver is just so much better for tablet mode. Now, I'm using touch on screen even in laptop mode

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  8. Zog1971

Zog1971 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Yes, I'm one of those users who likes to live in the desktop mode as mush as possible on my SP3 so Start8 and ModernMix have really changed things for me. I just installed them yesterday and can't relay what a happy difference it makes. :) My desktop rocks!!!

9. Clovismod

Clovismod Member

I'm using too ModernMix. Without, I would use much less MUI apps.

10. unruledboy

unruledboy Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    wait for Windows 9 (Threahold)....

11. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo New Member

My Device:
    SPro2
    I use the startisback application for my windows 8.1.

All these apps do the same thing since the code is still present in Windows 8 and just needs to be activated.

12. Zog1971

Zog1971 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Thanks for the info. This looks very close, but it doesn't look like it gives you the ability to run your Modern apps in windows while remaining on the desktop OR the ability to tweak the physical Windows button on the SP3 to not take you to the Modern UI. That was just from looking at the info about it on the website. Maybe you can offer more info if it does indeed do these things? The start menu's themselves look almost the same though, which I really like. And, looks like it's only 2.99 to purchase if you enjoy the free trial, so that's super cheap. Thanks again for the info. It's great to give folks some options. :)