What's new

Cortana is Referenced Numerous Times in Windows 10 Technical Preview Build

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Cortana-Windows-10-Reference-1.png

Cortana related files have already been spotted in the Windows 10 Technical Preview build. It even includes something called Cortana Notebook which allows you to personalize your experience. Here's a quote with some of the details of this feature,

Cortana’s Notebook includes some interests that are turned on for you by default. You can turn them off or remove them at any time. (You can also add your own interests, like sport and finance.) The default interests in Cortana’s Notebook are:
  • Weather near me – Cortana can keep you up to date on the weather where you are now, or you can keep tabs on somewhere far away.
  • Headline news – Pick a topic – business, entertainment, health, politics, sport, technology, UK or world – and Cortana will get you the latest on that subject. If you don’t want to choose, no worries. Cortana will use default news interests.
  • Trip planner – If you’re expecting to travel soon, the Trip planner interest can help. Cortana will pay attention to any flight itineraries in your email. Then, five hours before your trip, she’ll give you a summary of what’s ahead, including your flight status, traffic conditions on the way to the airport and the weather in your destination city. Depending on your country or region, you can also get rail info.
  • Getting around – Cortana will let you know how traffic is looking on your normal routes, and give you a heads up if you need extra time to get where you’re going.
  • Daily glance – Cortana will put together a quick look at your day, with things like weather, traffic and the latest headlines
We aren't surprised by this news, but we are still pleased to see it. Microsoft has made it obvious they want Cortana functionality throughout their Windows line.

Source: Microsoft-News.com

Interesting. I could imagine Cortana taking the Bing Smart search to a whole new level with voice activation and voice feedback. Unfortunately though, I'd imagine it would also require a Microsoft Account, which I don't want...will have to pass on it if that's the case.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. I could imagine Cortana taking the Bing Smart search to a whole new level with voice activation and voice feedback. Unfortunately though, I'd imagine it would also require a Microsoft Account, which I don't want...will have to pass on it if that's the case.
Bypassing all the services will render you a low power user. Hop on over to Google... Doh, account required... Apple... Doh, account required. Good luck with the I am an Island approach.

Bypassing all the services will render you a low power user. Hop on over to Google... Doh, account required... Apple... Doh, account required. Good luck with the I am an Island approach.

Blindly using all the services will render you an ignoramus power user...I use an iPhone and my account is used for making app purchases, just like my Microsoft account, and syncing contacts with Outlook my Surface Pro. The rest, I can live without.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've already integrated Cortana into my daily routine with Windows Phone, she already picks up my preferences for the MSN Content Apps (Stocks, Sports Teams, Commute, Interests, etc.) She tracks my flights and appointments, telling me proactively when I should and the best route to get there (which I would normally search for just prior to leaving). And most importantly she found a Kick-@$$ Mexican Restaurant that has very authentic food a couple of blocks from my new office and I'm the only Gringo in the place, this is something I thought I had lost when I left California :) They have Tortas.....YUM