What's new

Costco to carry Surface Pro3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have to say Kif is giving sound advice... What is this proposed life span? If you are paying this much money and it is suppose to be a laptop replacement sometime in the future *cough* Windows 9 *cough* its very likely you will run into needing more ram. Having more ram is always sound advise for any laptop or computer unless you are using this just as a tablet and if you are doing that I would advise saving your money and buying something like the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Why do you believe windows 9 is going to require more ram? Do you have any reason to actually think that? Bare in mind that from vista to 8 each release has required less and less ram..

This proposed lifespan was as in my requirement for this device prior to replacing. It was to point out that at the time of his posting, your own needs were not divulged, and as such simply saying you'll be glad to have the ram is a worthless statement without any context.

And as I've said, the machine is no laptop replacement, ultrabook maybe. It is not and will not be a workhorse in this iteration. The only software I would wish to run that might actually require 8 over 4, the machine is not capable of running to start with, and windows 9 would not be able to change that.

OP
K

Kris

Why do you believe windows 9 is going to require more ram? Do you have any reason to actually think that? Bare in mind that from vista to 8 each release has required less and less ram..

This proposed lifespan was as in my requirement for this device prior to replacing. It was to point out that at the time of his posting, your own needs were not divulged, and as such simply saying you'll be glad to have the ram is a worthless statement without any context.

And as I've said, the machine is no laptop replacement, ultrabook maybe. It is not and will not be a workhorse in this iteration. The only software I would wish to run that might actually require 8 over 4, the machine is not capable of running to start with, and windows 9 would not be able to change that.

Thank you for your opinion, at this point and time it will not be taken into consideration.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for your opinion, at this point and time it will not be taken into consideration.

Happy to be of service. Bringing up the 4gb vs 8gb question seems pretty pointless if you're unwilling to listen to an opposing idea and can't offer any point against those offered in said idea. But yeah, windows 9 will make 8gb a requirement, we are all clairvoyant like that, and past trends in requirements mean nothing.

You questioned whether you even need 8, I entered the debate in your favour, as a source of info that could save you money, but for some reason you don't actually care about saving money, so why do you care about whether you need 8 or not in the first place?

OP
K

Kris

I was trying not to turn this topic into an debate about 8gb ram vs 4gb ram... since it's title is Costco to Carry Surface Pro 3. Also I have responded to other posts, that kif has also been on, and I have made claims where I play occasional games and want the SP3 to replace my laptop, so I would say kif does have some context to give me some advice. If you want to create a topic of your own to debate 8gb vs 4gb go for it... there will be many people to agree with you and just as many to disagree. This is all up to personal preference and planned usage.
EDIT: in my first post I did mention that I was questioning the amount of ram I used, I am sorry that I did so and made an opening for a debate. After going back and looking at my usage and how I use my current laptop I do use the 8gb of ram. Actually could use some more at certain points...

Last edited:

Kif

You don't even know his usage requirements..

I don't need to know his usage requirements because they could change and the SP3 isn't upgradable. I think if you can afford the extra $$$ it's a no brainier since you're doubling your ram and HDD. I can also assume the people using this forum trend towards power users. In my case I decided to to purchase a docking station and replace my desktop with my SP3. I couldn't have done that with the 4 GB model.