CPU Throttling on 15 inch Surface Book 2 after 1709?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Book' started by Bill Dolan, Nov 17, 2017.

1. theveterans

theveterans Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Looks normal to me since the ave voltage is 1.16v. Your CPU speed is too high for web browsing IMO. I'd keep the profile to "better performance" instead of "best performance"

2. chekhonte

chekhonte Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Got it. I was looking at max voltage. I had it cranked to run some tests to see what it's thermal limits might be. Just put a game and let it run for a hour and it maxed at 89 degrees which is fine

3. mario64

mario64 New Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Just got my 15 inch SB2 Friday and am trying to determine if I have a problem. Using Best Performance on intensive games, I'm getting ~84c - 93c. Are those good temps? What's strange is that sometimes my temps actually increase -after- I exit the game. I've seen them hit 100c afterward when I am back on the desktop. Is this normal? It's almost as if the CPU fan ramps down before it has properly cooled off the CPU

4. theveterans

theveterans Member

My Device:
    SPro
    ^ It might be that at the moment you close the game, the CPU is at maximum compared to when you're playing games. Gaming temps are normal IMO, but during exiting is not.

5. wynand32

wynand32 Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Other people know more about this than me, but I'll note that my SB2 15" has never hit 100c and has maxed out at 92c in all of my testing. I'd be suspicious of a machine that hits 100c at any point, that seems to be an indication with some other people here of a problematic machine.

6. mario64

mario64 New Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Thanks for the feedback. Time to return it I guess. Strangely, I haven't noticed any issues per se. Just the high temp readings

7. mario64

mario64 New Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Just wanted to ask a follow-up question. Any thoughts on whether gaming on the SB2 15" will cause long term damage, particularly to the screen/tablet section? With CPU temps reaching the low 90's the back does get quite warm, and these temps would remain fairly consistent over a 1-2 hour gaming session.

8. theveterans

theveterans Member

My Device:
    SPro
    ^ I wouldn't worry about the screen though, if you can find an X-ray image or a ifixit image of SB2's internal on the tablet side, look at where the heatsinks are laid out on the batteries. If they're are next to them, there's a possibility for a premature battery degradation due to heat.

9. mario64

mario64 New Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Thanks very much for the feedback. I'll see if I can find a tear-down of the 15"