What's new

Crack goes the Screen on First Touch After Auto-Wakeup

xrmWiz

So I take my brand-spanking new Surface 3 i7 off to a customer demo. I put it to sleep, but as happened before, it wakes up in my backpack's padded pocket, and as I take it out it is quite hot and wide awake.

I start my demo, folding out the kickstand to maximum position and using touch/swipe commands to drive. I am not 2 minutes in when I touch the top left area with no response, I touch again - slightly firmer but not with any force. It simply opens up a 2-inch crack across the top left corner of the device (and loses touch in this area).

Surface Support reckons not covered by the warranty, "The damage found on your Surface Pro 3, as determined by our service center, was the result of excessive external force or mishandling. This may have occurred from extreme pressure when handling the screen or an object making contact with the screen. We understand that accidents happen and we offer Microsoft Complete in case of either situation. Please consider this in the future should you purchase another Surface Pro 3."

They carefully avoid making any comments around the auto-wake-up and heating problem, even after repeated correspondence. Escalated to their management, but they point-blank insist that I am the cause for the damage, and that it is not a manufacturing defect.

I am less than happy, and propose that the combination of heat and slight torque on the glass when the kickstand is in max position may just push it into oblivion. Feels like a "defect in workmanship". Using a replacement S3 i5, it also wakes up randomly from Sleep for no apparent reason. I have started shutting it down before travelling with it, and I keep the kickstand in the upright position.

wditters

Aside from the fact that what you experienced with Microsoft is very sad, I think that adding both an "Other, see comments" and a "None of the above" option would make the poll a bit more realistic and appealing ...

OP
X

xrmWiz

Aside from the fact that what you experienced with Microsoft is very sad, I think that adding both an "Other, see comments" and a "None of the above" option would make the poll a bit more realistic and appealing ...
Spot on, realized it as I posted, found I could edit the post but not the poll :(
Next time...

leeshor

All of your poll items have been discussed at length on the forum so it has been removed.