What's new

Creating screenshots in Desktop Mode

ctitanic

This is another Very old tool from the Tablet PC era that still available in Windows 8.1: Snipping Tool

Capture.PNG

cdf3

Thanks for posting. After watching the video, I was able to use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots.
I then wondered if there was a way to create a custom short cut for Snipping Tool.
I came across a website that gave instructions for Windows 7. I then figured out a way to do it for Windows 8.

1) Windows Search & type in Snipping Tool
2) Right Click on Snipping Tool and Pin to Taskbar
3) Go to Desktop and Right Click on Snipping Tool
4) You will see a menu for Snipping Tool, and Unpin this program from taskbar
5) Hover your mouse over Snipping Tool > Right Click > Properties
6) Move your cursor to the Shortcut Key field, then use any combination of keys for your shortcut
7) Click Apply > OK

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    102.1 KB · Views: 501
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    148.3 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

jedge

Just FYI, these work in various modes:

How to take a screenshot on your Surface
Method 1: Press and hold the Windows button, and press down on the lower volume button on the side of your Surface. Your screen will dim a little for a moment when you do this. (this saves to \Pictures\Screenshots)
Method 2: Double-press the pen top button. (this will import it directly to OneNote)
Method 3: On the keyboard, press Fn + Win + SpaceBar. (this also saves to \Pictures\Screenshots)
Method 4: Swipe left to open Charms -> Share. Click the tiny down arrow and tap "Screenshot". (this will further prompt you where you want to share it to, i.e. mail, paint, facebook, etc..)

cdf3

Just FYI, these work in various modes:

How to take a screenshot on your Surface
Method 1: Press and hold the Windows button, and press down on the lower volume button on the side of your Surface. Your screen will dim a little for a moment when you do this. (this saves to \Pictures\Screenshots)
Method 2: Double-press the pen top button. (this will import it directly to OneNote)
Method 3: On the keyboard, press Fn + Win + SpaceBar. (this also saves to \Pictures\Screenshots)
Method 4: Swipe left to open Charms -> Share. Click the tiny down arrow and tap "Screenshot". (this will further prompt you where you want to share it to, i.e. mail, paint, facebook, etc..)

Great Tips. Never knew about Methods 3 & 4.