What's new

Solved current leakage?

Sassi

Hi,

Sorry for all the questions recently. Today I was using my surface pro 3 on my lap while on charge for the first time since I bought it and noticed a small tingly feeling on the left hand side down the bottom below where the kickstand is. It feels like the static sensation you get on those touch to turn on lights. Is the an electrical leak? Has anyone else had this and is it safe? It's not there all the time just occasionally, what do you guys think, is it safe? It's actually stopped right now but comes back intermittently. I've never had it when not on charge.

Zog1971

Hi,

Sorry for all the questions recently. Today I was using my surface pro 3 on my lap while on charge for the first time since I bought it and noticed a small tingly feeling on the left hand side down the bottom below where the kickstand is. It feels like the static sensation you get on those touch to turn on lights. Is the an electrical leak? Has anyone else had this and is it safe? It's not there all the time just occasionally, what do you guys think, is it safe? It's actually stopped right now but comes back intermittently. I've never had it when not on charge.
Sassi, you got a bad unit!!!! Return. ASAP!!!!!!! For real. Search other threads, but, this is an issue. Never let your device electrocute you!!!

OP
Sassi

Sassi

I did a search for current, power and leak and didn't find anything, I must have looked up the wrong things, thanks :) I guess I'll have to give Microsoft a call.

Last edited:

DeltaXray

It is not defective. I spoke to an electrician about this as mine does the same. It has to do with grounding, you will probably find in the same situation any other metal-backed devices will feel the same. For example look up 'MacBook tingling' and 'iPad tingling' and there are endless posts about the same thing.

In a different socket on a different electrical circuit you will find it may not happen.

Are you able to reverse the plug in the socket (if you use a 2-prong plug)? It seems to have helped with some people.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

OK well I rang Microsoft before I read the above two posts and they are exchanging my unit, mainly because of the yellow line on the screen lol I thought I might as well mention that at the same time as it's starting to bug me. I just hope I get a good replacement. Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully I'll get my yellow line issue sorted anyway and when the new one tingles I'll know it's normal :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder does the tingling vary depending on what you are wearing. certain type of clothing are prone to static build up.

Zog1971

I'm gonna go back out there and say that feeling a tingling sensation from any device is NOT NORMAL. Any tech that tells you that should be fired. Some of the SP3's have had an issues with this-where they are leaking electrical current into the device. Most, including mine, do NOT emit an electrical charge or any sensation that you should feel. I'm dumbfounded that anyone would think this is something you should expect or live with. Never. I'm glad you are replacing yours.

DeltaXray

The reason you do not feel it is because of the grounding of the socket you are connected to. Plug into a different socket on a different circuit and you might feel it.

It is not a problem with the device. Poor grounding causes these type of issues with devices with metal cases. It is common. Quit trying to scare people due to not knowing what you are talking about.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen others who are experiencing this in Australia, it is because of the Grounding and Poles, some have been able to work around the issue by flipping the plug.

Zog1971

My advice stands Delta, and I am certainly not trying to scare anyone. Personally, I would NEVER keep a device that is giving me an electrical charge. There have been several posts about this issue, at least here in the US, and MS will immediately replace the unit if someone is experiencing this. However, I do now see that in certain parts of the world where the grounding issues may be more prevalent. Still, indicating that feeling a electric current is normal, is misleading and untrue. I guess I should be happy that there has never been a place I have plugged my SP3 or SP1 or iphone or ipad or macbook pro that has given me the sensation that I am feeling an electric current. Although, now that I've said that, it will probably happen to me later today. :)

DeltaXray

But your advice is wrong and just serves to create fear where it is unnecessary.

I think perhaps if you have not felt the sensation in question then you are perhaps imagining it to be much more of an issue than it actually is.

The cause of the sensation isn't located within the device itself. If you are feeling it then it is because of poor grounding which is most likely the socket you are connected to, in which case you can swap your SP3 over a thousand times and always have the same thing, or the power supply. It can happen anywhere but is generally more prevalent in countries that use 2-prog plugs as the 3rd is used for grounding in other countries.

Apple products have the same thing and they actually released an advisory to say it is by design that low level current could be dispersed around the casing in certain situations. I do not have the figures to hand but when my electrician friend tested it he said it was orders of magnitude less than you would generate walking along a nylon carpet for example.

I did a bit of testing the other day between home and work and confirmed that whilst I can feel it at home and some sockets at work there are others where it would not happen at all.