What's new

Solved current leakage?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a possibility of faulty wiring in outlets and even building electrical systems and your average electrician will short circuit the fix which can still cause problems. Hopefully a reputable licensed electrician will do the job right.

Regardless, a proper working computer power brick should be safe, provide isolation and prevent user injury. Some cheap 3rd party replacement power bricks/cubes for various products have been notably known to be faulty and dangerous although a fault could occur in any device. The reversible 2 prong computer power bricks should provide isolation from the actual wall outlet such that there is not a physical electrical connection between the case and ground or neutral thus preventing dangerous electrical shock. Secondary faults may provide a low voltage charge.

I can't think of a situation where tingling would be normal, except when your being treated with electro shock therapy or your in an electric chair but then you wouldn't likely be reading this. :) The degree of tingling may or may not be harmful but its a sign something is not completely right. Experiencing this with only one device its likely the device or power brick if other devices also show these signs contact a qualified electrician. Having been down this road if the electrician sticks a wire in the socket and connects it to the conduit... fire him and get a *real* qualified electrician.

Zog1971

There is a possibility of faulty wiring in outlets and even building electrical systems and your average electrician will short circuit the fix which can still cause problems. Hopefully a reputable licensed electrician will do the job right.

Regardless, a proper working computer power brick should be safe, provide isolation and prevent user injury. Some cheap 3rd party replacement power bricks/cubes for various products have been notably known to be faulty and dangerous although a fault could occur in any device. The reversible 2 prong computer power bricks should provide isolation from the actual wall outlet such that there is not a physical electrical connection between the case and ground or neutral thus preventing dangerous electrical shock. Secondary faults may provide a low voltage charge.

I can't think of a situation where tingling would be normal, except when your being treated with electro shock therapy or your in an electric chair but then you wouldn't likely be reading this. :) The degree of tingling may or may not be harmful but its a sign something is not completely right. Experiencing this with only one device its likely the device or power brick if other devices also show these signs contact a qualified electrician. Having been down this road if the electrician sticks a wire in the socket and connects it to the conduit... fire him and get a *real* qualified electrician.
Thanks for your thoughts, GreyFox. I was starting to feel alone in my advice. :)

OP
Sassi

Sassi

So some people think it's normal and some think it's dangerous o_O I'm not really sure what to think now. I've just got my return label and am still deciding whether to send this one back or not as I have it all set up exactly as I like it and the defects are small. I know I'll get a refurb and could end up much worse off. Sigh... what to do.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So some people think it's normal and some think it's dangerous o_O I'm not really sure what to think now. I've just got my return label and am still deciding whether to send this one back or not as I have it all set up exactly as I like it and the defects are small. I know I'll get a refurb and could end up much worse off. Sigh... what to do.
It may not be dangerous unless it is but I don't know of a way to tell or if it may change later.

Perhaps you could try a different charger to see if that corrects the problem.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Well I've decided to exchange it so I'll see what happens with the new one. Thanks for all the feedback guys.