What's new

Cursor Issues

InspectHerGadget

I've had an issue with the SP3, SP2, Surface RT and Surface 2. I've owned and used them all.

It is the sudden movement of the cursor, it might be to another application, it might wipe out a passage or text or the cursor may simply reappear somewhere else in the passage of text. It is very annoying.

This happens when using the type cover which is pretty well all I use.

A reference point is a MacBook where this never happens whether it is the keyboard or whether Apple have looked at this issue, it just doesn't happen.

I'd be interested in what other people think. Personally I think that this is fixable in software and Microsoft should fix it as it would improve the usability of the SP3.

ctitanic

Have you changed the mouse configuration? I don't have the keyboard near me to check but I recall that there is an option in certain mice that for can configure to make the cursor jump on top of buttons when it senses the presence of one.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

Have you changed the mouse configuration? I don't have the keyboard near me to check but I recall that there is an option in certain mice that for can configure to make the cursor jump on top of buttons when it senses the presence of one.
I don't use an external mouse just the trackpad.

This has been an issue since the dawn of the original RT. My wife still complains sometimes about it on her Surface 2. I have had the issues on the SP2 and the SP3.

I think it could be some fault with the type covers but I suspect it is a wider issue with the OS. Microsoft need to build some sort of buffering in so that while you're typing, a response, say a touch on a key , lasting a tiny fraction of a second, should be ignored.

I'm sure that this could be fixed and it can be very annoying when it happens. It happened in fact when I was typing the first message on this thread. I was about finished when it just disappeared. Maybe I brushed a key, I don't know but I'm sure it can be dealt with. This is why I mention these things on this forum as I think these are things Microsoft can address and it would make the experience of using the device much better.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Does it happen only at home, or everywhere? If mostly at home, is there a particular room where it occurs most often?
I am suspecting microwave interference. You may be near a transmission tower or path. Others on this forum have found this to be the issue.

If this is the issue, then, yes, the Type Cover should have better shielding. Circuits on the type cover are physically large, and could be prone to picking up interference, due to relatively poor shielding. The Type Cover becomes, essentially, and antenna.

nipponham

You can go into PC settings and adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad. You might be accidentally brushing it while you're typing.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

It isn't the trackpad. I noticed it happened this morning and my hands were nowhere near it.

As far as shielding, well it has happened a number of times in different areas. I guess it would be irrelevant even if it were such an issue as there's nothing to be done about it.

This cursor jumping happens on laptops with Windows also but never on MacBooks so it is fixable.

nipponham

It isn't the trackpad. I noticed it happened this morning and my hands were nowhere near it.
Are you saying that the cursor jumps on its own even when you are not using the keyboard? If so, that is something I've never heard of and won't have any useful suggestions.

If you're saying that it happens while you type even when your hands are nowhere near the touchpad, I can understand as vibrations from the keyboard can affect touch functionality. If this is the case, you can try this utility to rule out touch function flaw. It will disable touch functions temporarily when you type and can help diagnose the issue more precisely.

kozak79

It could be the touch screen. My replacement Surface Pro 3 arrived and kept registering touch at the top center of screen, and sometimes the windows button would register a touch, even though I wasn't even near the surface. Even after restore, still persisted. I had to send it back again. My new surface works perfectly.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

Are you saying that the cursor jumps on its own even when you are not using the keyboard? If so, that is something I've never heard of and won't have any useful suggestions.

If you're saying that it happens while you type even when your hands are nowhere near the touchpad, I can understand as vibrations from the keyboard can affect touch functionality. If this is the case, you can try this utility to rule out touch function flaw. It will disable touch functions temporarily when you type and can help diagnose the issue more precisely.
I'll try that utility.

I meant that my hand was nowhere near touching the trackpad while typing. It could be the trackpad I guess reacting to vibrations.