What's new

Custom Fan - Get More From Your SP3!

Dajackal9999

An even cheaper solution than my duct is this Arctic Breeze usb fan. I have not tested nor seen the results using this so I don't know how it compares but it should help. See a video of it in action here. And some discussion here.

Regardless of which you go with I'd like to see the community get the most out of their SP3 and enjoy using them.

--DISCLAMER--
I am not claiming any sort of magic or miracle with this duct and you should not expect either of those things. I made this for myself and am sharing it with the community, so please remember that this is not a consumer product that some large corporation has made, just a simple man. Your mileage will vary with this thing. Ambient conditions play a large role in your SP3's performance as well as the effectiveness of this duct. I cannot offer refunds. If the 3D print of your duct is poor, contact shapeways.

Regarding the Arctic fan. I use that and get about 10 to 11 more fps. One thing I noticed was that the surface fan barely comes on and USB fan is very quiet. As a result its much much quieter when gaming. So much so that my wife doesn't kick me out of the room when I'm gaming. I will say that having the fan sticking out of the port is much more weird looking than yours. About playing WOW... going from 26 fps to 36 and sometimes 50 makes a Huge difference and the decibel level is much more comfortable.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Regarding the Arctic fan. I use that and get about 10 to 11 more fps. One thing I noticed was that the surface fan barely comes on and USB fan is very quiet. As a result its much much quieter when gaming. So much so that my wife doesn't kick me out of the room when I'm gaming. I will say that having the fan sticking out of the port is much more weird looking than yours. About playing WOW... going from 26 fps to 36 and sometimes 50 makes a Huge difference and the decibel level is much more comfortable.
Dajackal9999 could you run a XTU graphics test with your fan for about 15 min and post the graph of the results?

I updated the second post with a potential cost savings.
Here is a screenshot of my skinnied-up design to reduce cost:
upload_2014-9-15_10-42-30.png

I've carved out $5 but now I need to print one and test it. I'll be back!

Oh, and I plan on doing the same to the USB Holder.

Last edited:

cvc988

I have the arctic fan. The challenge is the usb port on the side of the surface is reverse from the fan and so you cant get it perfectly lined up to point the top right corner. I have it coming out of the back of the dock and facing that corner now and it works, but is like 7" away so doesn't get full impact.

Telstar1948

I have the arctic fan. The challenge is the usb port on the side of the surface is reverse from the fan and so you cant get it perfectly lined up to point the top right corner. I have it coming out of the back of the dock and facing that corner now and it works, but is like 7" away so doesn't get full impact.

Do you find that the fan will stay in the position you set it, or does it gradually bend away from where you've originally aimed it? Thanks.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Dajackal9999 could you run a XTU graphics test with your fan for about 15 min and post the graph of the results?

Here is a screenshot of my skinnied-up design to reduce cost:
View attachment 3676

I've carved out $5 but now I need to print one and test it. I'll be back!

Oh, and I plan on doing the same to the USB Holder.
So unfortunately the results of the cost savings for the SP3 Duct were no good and the part was too flimsy. But I am trying with the USB Holder now.

cvc988

Do you find that the fan will stay in the position you set it, or does it gradually bend away from where you've originally aimed it? Thanks.

Bends away. I don't have a 3d printer but do have some instamorph and may need to fashion something to hold it.